Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 somebody please talk me out of it >

somebody please talk me out of it

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

somebody please talk me out of it

Old 09-30-2005, 11:48 AM

Default somebody please talk me out of it

This has never happend to me (thank god) but I know sooner or later its gonna happen. This is the scenario. Anyone who had it happen to them let me know how you delt with it. I knowim gonna be out there and eventually a buck is gonna come along thats worth taking. Its well in range, it doesnt know im there but theres one prob, I dont have the right angle, hes behind something, ect. What ever the cause, I dont have the best shot. I know im gonna want to let one fly but something tells me I shouldnt. (take the risk, you mightkill him, your gonna would him, dont do it)What do you tell yourself that makes you not shoot. God. its got to be one of the toughest situations. Somebody calm my nerves
Old 09-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: somebody please talk me out of it

Never take the shot if there is the slightest doubt whether you've got a clear shot. Odds are he'll take another step and present the perfect shot. If not... well, that's why they call it hunting and not killing.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:08 PM

Be precise in your shooting. If you wound him you might not ever see him in that area again. Or worse it may die and you might not recover the animal.... and never get another shot at him again!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:08 PM

Patience, you've got to tell yourself that you've been sitting for how many hours, and now I can't wait another 30 seconds to get a good shot, c'mon take a deep breath. By the time you do that he'll probably give you the shot you wanted.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Last year I was hunting a big 150 class 10 pointer. I seen him twice, then on the 14th of Nov. the day before MI gun opener here he comes down my trail. He stop about 10 yards from me, he turned and walk about 7 yds from my tree. 25 ft up in the tree, deer was walking and qrt to me a bit. I decided to wait and shoot him on the other side. I never got a shot, he walked straight away. I had the bow back and finger in the trigger to shoot him, I still do not regret not pulling the trigger. All I know is every deer I have lost(3) I have shot Qrt to me, about 10 years ago I made the choice not to shoot a deer qrt to me. Have not lost one since, and now he is about 160 class I have change the setup so he can not walk there again!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Patience is definitely the key word. If he got this close then he will probably give you a better opportunity.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:31 PM

I had the biggest buck that I have seen while hunting come in on me last year to within 15 yards but a shot never presented. When you are out there experience kicks in and you know what is best for and the animal. There will always be another chance.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Ah what the hell,....take a whack at him.[8D]
Old 09-30-2005, 02:18 PM

Don't draw the bow back until you are ready to shoot if possible. In my experience you are more likely to try a "less than perfect" shot when you've been at full draw for awhile.

You can also figure if it is a less than perfect hit with a bow you can bet he'll more than likely feed the coyotes than you... and who wants to do that?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same thing happened to me my first or second year of bowhunting. I was on the ground when I saw a buck with what looked like a rocking chair on his head come down a trail just 15 yards away. I bleated to get him to stop and he stopped with two saplings over his vitals. After a couple of seconds he started off again and I tried to get him to stop in the next opening, but he kept on going. I was at full draw and he never saw me. I don't have a head on the wall but I have a memory that is great and the hope of a rematch that whole season.

Quick Reply: somebody please talk me out of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.