Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let's bring back the HRAOP award!! >

Let's bring back the HRAOP award!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let's bring back the HRAOP award!!

Old 09-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Let's bring back the HRAOP award!!

OK, in honor of my 1,000th postafter beinga member of this fine community since September of 2000, I'm bringing out a "blast from the past" and requesting we bring back the Honorary Rack Award for Outstanding Post.

The HRAOP was an icon that moderators could attach to a post if they felt it "exceptional, well-thought out, and above-average." It was always gratifying to check on a thread and see that someone had felt what you had written stood out above the norm and had earned the HRAOP.

Beyond the recognition piece, though, it also served to promote more coherent, thought-provoking pieces. Since we as a community either became lazy in our efforts of handing them out, or did away with them for another reason, I've noticed a proliferation of two- and three-word answers that seem to serve only to run someone's post count up. I certainly respect those that are prolific in their posting while having something erstwhile to say -- Frank and David come immediately to mind -- but I can also think of someone who is close to running their count to 10,000 and you probably couldn't combine all that person's posts together to make one coherent paragraph.

I'm much more proud of the six HRAOP's I garnered before we quit handing them out than I am in hitting 1,000. Otherwise, it wouldn't have taken me six years to do so.

One of our posts "stuck" to the top of our forum refers to taking quality pictures. How about this: Let's endeavor to keep turning out quality posts, as well. And the HRAOP can help reward us for doing so!
Old 09-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let's bring back the HRAOP award!!

Congratulations on your 1000th !!! I recently joined the club myself after 2 1/2 years.

Kudos to you on your six HRAOPs but to me it is meaningless. I don't have a problem with once sentence or even single word answers - there are enough blowhard soapbox prophets around without encouraging more. Atlas comes to mind - usually I'd rather just read the quick opinion and move on to another topic.
To each his own.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:10 PM

I've been here around for awhile....... Since Winter of 2001 I believe...... I don't remember ever hearing about those.....
Old 09-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

- there are enough blowhard soapbox prophets around without encouraging more. Atlas comes to mind -
(<--short and to the point replyjust for Hazcon )
Old 09-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

there are enough blowhard soapbox prophets around without encouraging more
Hazcon, sometimes it's the responses to those nebulous, ephemeral rants about nothing that turn out to be the most thought-provoking and worthwhile posts on here -- serving to educate both the original poster and others. And the thought that maybe you might get an "attaboy" once in a while from the mods might help to elicit more than standout posts. I know it used to, or so it seemed.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in favor of some type of acknowledgement for well thought out post's.It may encourage some to put a little more effort in to their responses.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want to blow your own horn join a band. > 11 words.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Dominant Buck

[blockquote]quote:

there are enough blowhard soapbox prophets around without encouraging more[/blockquote]

Hazcon, sometimes it's the responses to those nebulous, ephemeral rants about nothing that turn out to be the most thought-provoking and worthwhile posts on here -- serving to educate both the original poster and others. And the thought that maybe you might get an "attaboy" once in a while from the mods might help to elicit more than standout posts. I know it used to, or so it seemed.
And..... everyone understood exactly what he was saying.[8D]
Old 09-27-2005, 10:11 PM

Well i guess when you scroll down the posts then all you need to do is lok at the name on each thread first.Then you can decide on reading it or skipping it.I have figured out that some peoples words arent worthy of my time.As i know some people may think of mine that way.to each his own.What matters the most is how you feel about your own posts and the messages you relay in them.
I find that just helping people who ask questions is more gratifying then anything.I dont have a son willing to be into bow hunting as much as I do.my 11 yr old daughter is ready to start and the feeling of handing down the hard earned lessons of whitetail hunting is a great thing to do.
So we can have or not have the awards.either way i know how I feel about my posts and will keep helping people as much as I can as ell as making new friends who have the same love for this sport as I do.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always did like the HRAOP concept.