Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead recommendations >

Broadhead recommendations

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead recommendations

Old 09-27-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Broadhead recommendations

Hey all,

I'd like to get some recommendations on broadheads for deer. I'm shooting 2217's with a 55-60lb pull. The bow hasn't been tuned (haven't the time or the money), but it's pretty accurate with 85gr field tips. So something that shoots close to field tips without much tuning would be good. Any other suggestions as to size, make-and-model, etc., would be welcome. My thanks in advance.

A the P
Old 09-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead recommendations

you may get some interesting answers here. As tuning really isn't that difficult and you don't need to spend money. There is really no good alternative to a properly tuned bow. A tuned bow will obviously group better, but it will also increase BH preformance (i.e. penetration). download the Easton Tuning guideand it makes it very simple to tune.
http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/

As for the broadheads. I wouldn't use a mechanical head with your more lightweight setup. Some Fixed blade heads that have a history of flying well are magnus stingers, Slick Tricks, and Wasp heads. Good luck with your decision. Althought I HIGHLY recommend tuning your bow.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 AM

The bow hasn't been tuned (haven't the time or the money),

since you don't have the time to tune, I don't recomend that you shoot a broadhead at all. since none will work... None,notta, I don't even recomend you go hunting until you have the time and the money to tune the bow.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

you planning on hunting with this setup any time soon?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not to sound like I am coming down on you but I agree with DWD. There is no excuse for not having a tuned setup...even if only moderately tuned. Local shops charge around $15-$20 for a regular tuneup. That doesn't seem like much to pay when consider the benefits in increased accuracy and penetration.

As for broadhead suggestions, if you simply cannot get your bow tuned and considering your light overall draw weight, etc... I would opt for one of the super short replacement blade heads like the NAP Nitron, Slick Trick or Rocket Ultimate Steel. They all fly very accurately out of just about any bow I have shot and should provide good penetration because of their short overall design.

Don't know which are offered in an 85 grain version though.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:41 AM

I see you don't have anything in your profile, but if your anywhere around me, PM me and I will take the time to show you how to tune your bow. You'll have to take the time to come do it though. if you would let someone know who you are and where your at it just might be possible to get someone near you to show you how to tune your bow. how about it guys anyone know this person. don't let him go out there with a setup that isn't tuned up..
Old 09-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Friends don't let friends hunt with an untuned bow.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Rocket makes a wonderful 85gr called the Wolverine,
and it's verry accurate also it's one bad mamma jamma!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:15 PM

lol. I appreciate y'all's concern. It's just that I can't find an archery shop around here (Raleigh, NC). Granted that's probably my fault: I'm sure there are plenty.

Why is the tune so important? There must be something I'm not understanding (and I freely admit I'm a complete novice), but in its untuned state, it's plenty accurate enough to kill a deer, even with the cheap, somewhat mangled broadheads I'm using now.

I'll look at the Easton Guide, and if there's really important stuff that I can't do myself, I'll make the time to get it tuned. Thanks a lot for the help!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:43 PM

what you are not understanding is that when you put on a fixed broadhead, the arrowdynamics change. the larger broadhead has a tendency to plane the arrow which causes it to impact in a differnt spot than where it is aimed. By selecting the proper spine in the arrow and doing a tuning procedure that planeing can be reduced or elimenated. then the arrow can fly right and impact where you are aiming.

just because a bow can shoot your arrow with a fieldtip on it accurately does not necessariely mean that the spine of that arrow is correct when you use a larger braodhead.

It's just that I can't find an archery shop around here (Raleigh, NC). Granted that's probably my fault:
your attitude makes me think that you don't really care. And with your I don't have the time attitude I don't recommend that you hunt at all.. just stick to spots and targets it's easier...

Quick Reply: Broadhead recommendations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.