Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spitfire broadheads >

Spitfire broadheads

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spitfire broadheads

Old 09-26-2005, 09:29 AM

Default RE: Spitfire broadheads

He hit the leg bone and broke it into pieces the put a perfect star in the heart still this arrow had enough energy to fall out the opposite side as the deer ran away.
If he was shooting Spitfires I don't think he wouldn't gotten any penetration.
that is the down side to a 1.5 inch cut broadhead, the heart is meaty and offers a lot of resistance to the braodhead, the larger the cut the more resistance the broadhead feels. will KE energy in the 60 ft lb range it, at 20 yards, 1.5 inch cut broadhead would have a tuff time passing through.
with a smaller head your chances of a pass through get better.

I once used a set up with 56 ft lbs of Kinentic energy. With a 1 1/4 inch cut I passed through the heart at 15 yards however, when I shot the deer at 27 yards through the heart I did not get a pass through.

All these things should be taken into consideration when you choose how large of broadhead to use.

I limit my size to 1 1/4 inch cut cause that's all the bigger I need, that's all the bigger anyone needs for that matter..
anything larger you willtend to open up the pentration issue,can of worms.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:07 PM

I used spitfire broadheads for the first time last year, releasing 4 arrows, harvesting 4 deer. Every shot was around 18 yards, 2 were pass-throughs, 1 was a quartering away shot, the other was a quartering towards me shot. [The quartering towards me shot isn't a shot I'd recommend, it was on a deer which was wounded during gun season, could hardly walk, I was out hunting for it to end it's suffering] I'm going to continue to use them, they get enough penetration to kill anything. You don't need pass-throughs to harvest deer, I think people get to obsessed with pass-throughs. Get a broadhead you personally have confidence in, if you ask others there are just too many opinions out there. Make a decision and see how they work for you and your set-up.

Paul
Old 09-26-2005, 03:22 PM

I shot my first "spitfire" deer yesterday, and I'm sold. I mean, if you could have seen the size of the exit hole this broadhead leaves.Complete pass through at 20yds on a quartering away doe. Then again, it was a 2.5 year old 100lb South Carolina deer. She'll taste the same none the less.