Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Ridges

Old 09-18-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Hunting Ridges

The property I hunt on consists of ridges and ridges only, covered with white and red oaks. I recently found a rub line where a huge rub was made on a thick pine tree, the route goesaround the side of a ridge through a switchback and up another ridge. There is another section of the property where there is a cluster of about 10 smaller rubs in a 1000 square foot area. Wind direction is not that big of a factor because they come from all directions, and the wind swirlsso much around here.How would you guys recommend hunting this kind of property? Would you concentrate on the rub line, cluster of rubs, or food sources? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Ridges

Hunt draws and food source if you have white oak acorns. Use scent-lok type of clothing to combat swirling winds. Watch rub line until pre-rut and see what happens.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:16 PM

set up on the switchback. might be a good area to catch them traveling through.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:33 PM

If the rubs arent in the open then I would hunt them.The ridge top would be a good place but I would sit on the side that the wouldnt be coming from.So the thermals going down inthe evenings wont be a factor.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:45 PM

That sounds like my situation. I try to find a "bench" thatruns just below the ridge line. Around here the ridges run around 2500ftand its common to find a flat spot that runs along the ridge about 50 to 100 yards down from the top. I have huntedthe ridge lines my entire lifeand it never fails these little"shelves" create great funnels!! They love to bed in these areas andyou will normally find one heavy trail runningparallel to the ridgetop.If there are tons of acorns around then it would be too hard to key on food because its spread everywhere. I would hunt close to the beds.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a Toughy...Let me think........Listen to Antlergetter
Old 09-26-2005, 03:20 PM

Hunt the rub line only if you can set up 20-30 yards above it in elevation and if your down wind.I find the best location to be the spot where this line is nearest to actual ridge top,it lessens the chance of your scent being detected. Be prepared to not see any buck till late in the morning but a buck on the prod can be seen at any time of the day. They're scent checking as they go the wind and theground so don't make them go nocturnal stumbling around there leaving abunch of scent with doing a bunch of unnessary scouting. I hunt these spots almost exclusively here in the Ozarks with very consistant results. I can expect a chance at the boss of the woods during the pre-rut but after he's occupied, the lesser bucks are what you'll likelysee. Again,the key here is to not let them know of your presence, it will really blow it for ya. Hope this helps you out a bit.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:46 PM

Iwould hunt that switcback as ductman eluded to.Iwould pick2 stand sites.the first would be above the rub line so morning thermals will not get you busted,and the second would be below the rub line so afternoon thermals won't get you busted.I would hunt them only untill late pre rut as bucks will probably not be hitting rub lines anymore,and i would focus on bedding areas through the post rut.JMHO
Old 09-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try and find the faint trails running 15 feet below or so the top. They will intersect the doe trails. Set up on these in the rut.

Before the rut, hunt that switchback and get as close to as many oaks as you can.