Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spitfire Broadheads? >

Spitfire Broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spitfire Broadheads?

Old 09-02-2003, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Spitfire Broadheads?

I am thinking about changing from Thunderhead Broadheads to Spitfire
Mechanical Broadheads because I have heard and read that they will fly
more accurate. Let me know what ya' ll think.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Spitfire Broadheads?

That is a myth.

They may fly more accurately than your fixed blade heads at the moment because they are a shortcut for a untuned bow. A properly tuned bow with a matching properly tuned arrow and fixed blade heads are just as accurate as any mechanical head on the market.

If you wish to switch for a shortcut, your not doing yourself any favors. Your arrows are still not going to be perfect out of a untuned bow. The proper thing would be tune your bow, tune your arrows and you may not want to switch.

Old 09-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,

I shoot them and have for years. I like them a lot. Blood trails are awesome and they fly great. I usually don' t even have to move my sights for them from my field points. As a matter of fact, I was shooting them tonight, almost knocked one of those fancy, high dollar tracer nocks off.

I usually spend the couple of extra bucks and get the Pro Series. You know I' m working just up the road from Bass Pro shops, I could pick you up a set if you' d like. [:-]
Old 09-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

If you want to switch to a mechanical head of any type make sure it is for the right reasons. Wider cutting surface, better blood trails, and maybe to feel better not having exposed blades while in your stand, ect...
Mechs. are not a bandaid for a poor flying setup and even though they may group well, they will suffer the same penitration problems as a fixed broadhead if the arrow is whipping in flight. Make sure your bow is tuned before switching and also follow recomended K.E. for the head you use. There has been a lot of good info here on finding kinetic energy if you do a search.
With proper K.E. and a well tuned bow, the spitfires are a very good head. (but not my first choice in mechs.)
Old 09-03-2003, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

All have made good points. You also need to keep in mind what your total Kinetic energy of your setup. The spitfires are a quality head, sharp and strong, but in order to use them to good effect you really need at least 55 ft/lbs of KE and a well tuned bow. Then they should work great on deer size game.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use spitfires and I was really impressed with them, the doe I killed last year ducked/jumped the string and it hit the tip of her shoulder blade, it cut right through it and deflected up into the spine and shattered it! She dropped like a rock. As 5 shot said KE is important, and as others have said it is just as crucial to have a well tuned bow with mechs as it is with fixed heads. To me the biggest advantage to mechs over fixed heads is they will NEVER plane on you and the wind has far less of an effect on them. They are also quieter then fixed heads in flight.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:25 AM

1 other advantage of mechs over fixed that doesn' t get the" press" .. safety! Since switching to spitfires I haven' t sliced a finger ... ripped a glove ... put a hole in my jacket .....

I think I' ve recouped the cost in thread and bandaids alone.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-03-2003, 12:29 PM

I have shot Spitfires for three years now, and I love them. Not sure I agree with some postings about fixed blades flying the same as mechs. My bow is properly tuned, and regardless of other blades, I don' t see myself switching. Shot a nice 9 pointer last year. Clean pass thru, EXCELLENT blood trail, easy recovery. Never had a problem with penetration. I shot approx. 61-62lbs. of KE.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

My bow is properly tuned and so are my Thunderheads with my bow. I don' t consider myself as a great shot, however one of my friends is, and he has tuned
my bow. Also I do shoot at 70 lbs. I am always just looking
to be a better shot and thought switching might make me even a little better.
Thank you for all of your reply' s.