Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 SPITFIRE BROADHEADS >

SPITFIRE BROADHEADS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SPITFIRE BROADHEADS

Old 05-27-2004, 12:37 PM

Default SPITFIRE BROADHEADS

I have shot spitfire broadheads for the last four seasons and absolutely love them. I have shot Whitetail, Fallow and a complete pass through on a 357 pound wild boar. I am going on a bear hunt in Saskatcewan next month and will probably use them. Has anyone used them on big black bear? How did they do and do any of you have any other mechanicals or fixed blade heads you would suggest?

Thank You
Old 05-27-2004, 01:06 PM

Default RE: SPITFIRE BROADHEADS

I really like Spitfires and feel generally.......they catch a bad rap !! I have had excellent results with them and the best bloodtrails I have gotten have been with them !!

I haven't shot a Bear yet......but my buddy has shot 3 with Spitfire and all were passthroughs with a 60-65 #Ke set up ! I will not hesitate to use them on Bear !!
Old 05-27-2004, 01:16 PM

You are right about the Blood Trail they leave the only down fall I have found is the price.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:17 PM

Myself and my friends have taken bear with Spitfires. From 150 lbs to 415 lbs. They do the job very well if hit in the right spot.

Just a thought though, my group which was loyal for years to Spitfires is starting to look at different heads. The only real reason is a few of us have buried the head in the far shoulder and didn't get an exit wound. As the animal ran off the arrow backed out a few inches essentialy covering the entire cutting surface, not allowing any additional cutting to occur. We did recover these animals, but a fixed blade in the same situation continues to inflict serious damage in the vitals as the arrow bounces around or slides out. With Spitfires once it backs up a few inches it becomes as dangerous as a field point in there. On the perfect hits this doesn't matter, but on a marginal hit, that extra damage could be the difference between a recovered or lost animal.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:23 PM

I don't get the extra damage thing........especially if your hitting the opposite shoulder ! From my experience about 1.5" under the entry the blades open fully...........and a huge cut is made......say through both lungs ! If both lungs are collapsed they are collapsed........aren't they ? I don't see how any additional damage can be done !!

However.........just like with a lot of heads......you probably won't find much blood ! That's happened to me with Spitfire's and Muzzy's without an exit wound !!
Old 05-27-2004, 01:34 PM

True but if you hit the far shoulder you don't need to find much blood because you just took out both lungs, heart or aorta of the deer so you should be able to see it or here it fall. I used to shoot Muzzy 100 grain fixed blade but since I have went to the spitfire I have stayed. They do fly exactly like a field point and drop deer in a hury.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always liked the Spitfires. I changed to the Gator XPs last year, but now that I see you can get a Spitfire XP, I just may have to change back. I haven't shot a bear with them, but they are devastating on a whitetail. I've never seen better blood trails out of any other broadhead I have shot and I've tried a lot.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

I used Spitfires for four years and never had any problems. I do worry about the blades opening up though. Bowhunting is hard enough to have anxiety over the performance of your broadheads. I'm buying some Muzzy's after work and will test them out this weekend.

Don't have anything bad to say about Spitfires though.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:19 AM

I do worry about the blades opening up though.
I almost put this above but chose not to........because of how some of the folks get around here !

A little story may help your anxiety :

One of the bears my buddy shot ........he just clipped it's back on the first shot ! He knew something happened and hastily grabbed another arrow out of a full hip quiver ! He shot the bear and killed it !

Later we realized that in his haste .......he had grabbed a used arrow that he had taken a deer with ! The Spitfire was covered in dried blood ! While skinning the bear .........I examined the damage and it appeared that the blades opened as normal and made a full cut 1.5-2" after entering the chest cavity and the arrow passed completely through leaving a good exit hole !

He shouldn't have left that arrow in his quiver.........but he did..... and that's what happened !! If they will work completely covered in dried blood ......I don't think they have problems opening !!
Old 05-28-2004, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the information guys! I have never had any problems with them and will stick with them for the bear hunt. I have shot over a dozen whitetail with them and none of them have traveled over 100 yards that were double lunged.
Thank's again for the imput

Quick Reply: SPITFIRE BROADHEADS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.