Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let 'em go and let 'em grow >

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Old 09-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

You love to stir things up, don't ya.

Sage advice for those of us who have had the opportunity to put a few bucks under our belt. As for the other folks who haven't been as fortunate....
Well said!!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 09-24-2005, 09:40 AM

As far as I am concerned, while I may? be more discriminating on deer # 2, as it pertains to deer # 1 ... if regulations allow ( and for me they do )... IF IT IS BROWN ... IT'S DOWN

I purchased a hunting license for the sake of putting venison in my freezer. Ifthe firstopportunity to do so presents itself in the form of a young buck I will avail myself of that opportunity.

I did not purchase a hunting license for the purpose of passing up an opportunity to fill my freezer so that someone else can have a possible chance at a trophy 2 or 3 years down the line.

Old 09-24-2005, 10:37 AM

i'm 15 and this will be myforth year of hunting. every year i gotten a buck so far. last year i got a nice 6pt. with a 17 inch spread this year i am probally not going to shoot one unless it is bigger.

now my uncle normally fills all his tags right away but in the last 3 years he hasn't gotten a buck. so i am sure as long as it has3 on one side he is going to shoot it and i hope he gets it, i don't think there is anything wrong with shooting smaller bucks however i spend a lot of time scouting and getting ready for the season and i will be able to hunt a lot this season so i am setting my standards a little higher. but it all taste the same to me.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:50 AM

Well im sorry wolfen but you knownot everyone has the chance to let the little ones go. Not all of us are fortunate enough to have many acres of land to hunt on or pay to go to an outfitter to kill a big deer. Some people, like me, have very little timber to hunt, so we have to take advantage of what walks by us. Around where i hunt about 75% of the land is leased by an outfitter (dont even get me started on that topic [:@]) so we dont have much to hunt on unless we want to pay and the day i have to pay someone a thousand dollars to hunt is the day i will quit deer hunting. So all in all you have a good point about letting the little ones go but you need to remember that not all of us are as fortunate as others and have that option. So for me im in the vote that if its brown, its down.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:09 AM

Callemin. First off, I have only stated MY OPINION... just like you have yours. I'm not going to tell you where you can stick your opinion, so how about giveme and others thesame respect. This is a forumwhere people can learn from others and voiceour opinion and no itsnot a "pissing contest". We are allpassionate aboutbowhunting and are on the same tea, even though we may have a difference of personal opinions on certain matters.
I, like yourself, do most of myhunting on public land. And I understandwhy you would take the"scrub buck", considering the next guywill if you don't. I understand, but I personally don't agree. Just myopinion.
Mymoral valuesand personal character make me a man, not how many points a deer has. Iget just as excited about harvesting a doe as I do a buck. We can all attest that an ol' nanny is just as hard to hunt as a mature buck....well, pretty darn close.
Best of luck to ya this year.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Isn't it great how bowhunting has gotten so easy that people can afford to be that selective about what they shoot? I remember when it was only the rifle hunters who did that.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:34 AM

hey maliburacing, i started reading your post and thought, 'damn, that guy must be in IL'

I think most of it is where you hunt. probably most people would like to wait for a good buck, but they are not just everywhere. when there are a lot of people hunting around the county that will shoot anything, it makes no sense to pass a deer just to have somegoofballass-shoot him the next day. have this happen enough, you'll start being a lot less picky.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:39 AM

dont want to pick a fight with anyone im just gonna put my two cents in..this is obviously a touchy subject....i agree with quite a few of these guys about just fricken let it alone let ppl hunt the way they want to shoot what they want to..but it does come down to the fact many states donthave the good buck/doe ratio like some other states..me here in nebraska we have a decent number of bucks..you can take a few small ones..theres nothing wrong with taking a doe either..but honestly ppl that are critisizing others for what they believe in and how they hunt..quit that stuff right now..your just gonna draw ppl away from the sport of hunting..i see theres a lot of critisizing that goes on in these forums about why did you do this you shouldve done this or what the hell were you thinking type of crap..there needs to be more positive comments towards others and quit the negative crap..
Old 09-24-2005, 11:50 AM

I've heard too many times that if I pass on this deer someone else is going to shoot it so I might as well wack it. If deer "A" doesn't make you happy then don't shoot it and wait for deer "B". Deer "A" may be the buck of a life time for someone else. I've passed on deer before and I know if it walks by my brother inlaw its dead. It happened last year. Shoot what makes you happy and enjoy the time in the woods.

Quick Reply: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.