Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let 'em go and let 'em grow >

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Old 09-24-2005, 06:59 AM

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

I personally feel it is sad that there are hunters among us that shoot anything that walks by their stand. Considering most deer herd ratios, you'll probably see at least 6 does for every buck. So why whack that first buck be it a spike, 4 pt., or anything less than a shooter. Do yourself and every other hunter a favor and let them grow andshoot a doe. Who knows, you may eventually shoot a buck worth bragging about.

Old 09-24-2005, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in PA we have to ensure we follow our antler restriction laws and I think that helps a good percentage of the younger bucks. Here in my area the buck has to have 4pts on a side to be considered legal. I personally take the first legal buck that gives me the shot.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: dangolbowhunter

Who knows, you may eventually shoot a buck worth bragging about.
Too relative ofa statement. I believe that qdm is good for me, but it may not be for others.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally feel it is sad that there are hunters among us that shoot anything that walks by their stand.
What difference does it make what you feel about it? The game commision sets the rules not some arrogant self appointedhunter who has decided his way is superior to others. If you want to talk about the benefits of QDM that's fine but when you start criticizing and demeening other hunters for legaly harvesting a deer you cross a line. dukemichaels is right. Spend your effort helping the sport not dividing those who do it!
Old 09-24-2005, 07:20 AM

I sure wish the DNR would pass such laws in South Carolina. The doe to buck ratio is ridiculous. Rattling isn't even effective because bucks don't have to compete for breeding rights. I've talked with several gamemanagement officialsand theyagree thatlaws need to be in place to help the herds ratios. Regulations have been placed inGeorgia, and they are now reaping the rewards.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:26 AM

Dangolbowhunter. I didn't realize that deer hunting was a pissing contest so to speek. You guys with that moronic concept that it has to be a monster to take him just have to get over the fact that people will take a 4or spike for that matter... I hunt for many reasons. The last reason on the list is take a big one. Any deer you take is a good one. Don't get me wrong, I've taken some nice deer and yes bragged about it. But at the same time I brag about the smaller bucks also. Some hunters can only hunt on public land with many other hunters that will take the " scrub buck " so why not take him yourself and enjoy the meat. I personally fell it is sad that some hunters need the big buck to make them feel like a man or a real hunter. Get real! Just hunt your way and shut up and let the other hunters hunt their way.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:58 AM

I personally think tha we have different genetics in different area's.We ALL have our own means of QDM.Some of us have the opertunity to let the smaller bucks go.Yet some of us if we let some go by the guy in the next tree will take him.You have to use your own set of guidelines that suit you and your area.I for one have plenty of private places to hunt that do not get a lot of pressure except during gun season when i stay out of the woods.The bigger bucks have a tendance to knw when to stay down during this time.I also think that people are going to take what they can considering the time they have to actually hunt due to there families work school and any other obligations they have.So it comes down to getting what you can to get that meat in your freezer.I have seen people just as happy to get a 4 pt as I was at getting my moster 11 pt.We have to set our own standards and not push them onto others.If the states where worried about the herds they would set a antler size minimum.

I for one wish people would let the lil ones go and get the mature bucks.But this is something I can not expect everyone to go by and certain wouldnt push my ideas on them.Take what you can get and be happy with it.I for one am happy with people getting anything at all with a bow.It is a feat they can be proud of .
Old 09-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dang wolfen, you usually get a better response to this thread. Everybody is being relativily good this year.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:15 AM

Same old song and dance
Old 09-24-2005, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

You love to stir things up, don't ya.

Sage advice for those of us who have had the opportunity to put a few bucks under our belt. As for the other folks who haven't been as fortunate....

Quick Reply: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.