Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what age for kids to start hunting? >

what age for kids to start hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
5-7 year old
34.15%
8-10 year old
26.83%
12-14 year old
26.83%
OTHER
12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

what age for kids to start hunting?

Old 09-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what age for kids to start hunting?

I was actually born in the woods and started hunting at 00:01.

Actually I cant even remember the 1st time I went hunting with my dad. As long as they know what is going on and can learn from you, then go for it.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

I will be taking my 4 year old with me on her first bowhunt this year. She has been scouting with me since about 9 months. She "helped" me gut, hang, and process my deer last year at 3 years old. She is as excited as I am to go this year. It should be a blast for both of us.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

start them as young as possible...i know if i would have introduced to huntin' when i was young there's NO WAY i would have done 99% of the things that i did....even at 24 i was still immature and wild...huntin' probably saved my life.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:30 PM

I think that what ever age you feel comfortable taking them into the woods with you. I started hunting with my brother around 10 but had been in the wood with my BB gun since 6. I believe in the hunter education classes. I think that DNR regulations and state hunting laws should be taught to our youth and in some cases to the adults. The ANTI's are always getting laws changed. It helps to stay on top of hunting and DNR updates.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maturity is what I question when hunting age is debated. Yes, many 7, 8 and 9 year olds can shoot well, but do the have the knowledge and capability to make decisions when it comes to discharging a firearm at game. Dad may be right next to him, but what is really going through the youth hunters mind when its time to take the shot. I feel that 12 is minimum age for youth be licensed to hunt with a firearm or bow. I have no problem with youth from 8 to 11 to accompany an adult on the hunt, but no way should they be permitted to carry or fire a weapon until they prove they are capable and responsible enough to do so. Just think about how many adults you have known or met that should not be carrying a firearm or bow in a hunting situation! Now lay that responsibility on an 8 year old.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son is only 21 months but I've already started working with him in identifying his animals. He picked up on the typical animals with no problem. (cat, dog, bird, elephant, monkey, etc.) Now he's saying deer, elk, turkey and bear. I'll sit and watch the hunting shows on TV and he's right there next to me naming the animals. He's even started picking up on the elk and turkey sounds and can identify them when he hears them.

I take him scouting from time to time and I'm really looking forward to next year already when I hope to take him out on an actual hunt. Most likely we won't see anything but I guess you never know. I'll just be happy to get him started on what hopefully will be a lifelong passion to hunt.