Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What bow to start kids? >

What bow to start kids?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What bow to start kids?

Old 06-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default What bow to start kids?

I have a step son that's 10 yrs old... he's about the size of a 14 yr old though. Had him measured the other day and he has a 23" draw length. Trying to decide what bow would be a good one to get him started with?

Been looking at the Micro Midas and the Genesis bows... both have a wide range of draw lengths to grow w/ him. Both are in the $200-230 price range fully outfitted. I think he'll prolly end up w/ a 31-32" draw length by the time he's finished growing.. so I know the bow will need replaced in a few years anyways... but don't want to have to do it any sooner than possible.

What youth bows do you guys start your kids out on?

Later,
Ken B
Old 06-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What bow to start kids?

I started mine w/ a Genesis, but in light of new information I might opt for the Genesis Pro. It has a better cut out in the sight window and now can use "standard" rests instead of the flipper that comes on it.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started my son with the Browning Micro Myst 35#-50#, 24-25 inch draw. He used it for 2 years (12 and 13) then jumped to the Hoyt mtsport at 14. He is now 16 and again looking at a new bow. He is a 27" draw now and can easily pull 70# (been playing hockey for 11 years). They grow fast so I guess you shouldn't expect to keep him in it for more then a couple of years. I am now handing down his Micro Myst to my daughter (14). Seems to fit her pretty good.

Good luck in your search and just shoot with him. It will keep him (and you) out of trouble.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd probably start out with the micro adrenaline rather than the micro midas. They both go from 18 to 28 inches but the adrenaline can be had in higher draw weights. Another pluss with the adrenaline is that it has about the highest available speed for a youth bow and with low poundage bows you need all the umph available.

I am waiting on one for my son and he is 11 years old but big for his age like your son. He decided on this one after trying out the Alpine micro & Parker challenger. Dollar for dollar it's about as good a vlaue as there is in youth bows.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:26 PM

I started my daughter with the PSE spyder and she loves it. The Spyder S4 23”/40# is fully adjustable from 21”/25# to 25”/45# or there is another configuration with the same draw lengths but lighter draw weight. I started her on 10# to 30# configuration, but that draw length range probably will not work for you. Good luck and have fun.

[link]http://www.pse-archery.com/Catalog/Compound/spyder_Synergy_4.htm[/link]
Old 06-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know of a man in Idaho Falls, Idaho that sells bows strictly for children. They are designed especially for them. His name is Ron Stacey and I'm sure that he can be found in the phone book online. Here is his website. http://www.staceyarchery.com/
Old 06-03-2004, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

A PSE Nova may be a good starter bow for him. An adult bow with plenty of draw length adjustment and you can get it down to a 23 inch draw length in some cases.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:50 AM

I also like the genesis bows. This is a bow that he'll grow up with until he is ready to start hunting. If you are trying to save a few buck you can pick one up on eBay. They usually end in the $130-$145 range.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:14 PM

Start him off with the browning mirco adrenaline defin, because im 15 and i still shoot my micro and have killed 2 deer with it last season. Its poundage goes up more then it says on the lable. Stick with that one for a while
Old 06-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started my son out with a Browning Micro Midas. He was very intimidated by it as most kids will be. It got to the point where he was afraid to shoot it and decided archery wasn't his thing. Then about a year later I picked up a 35lb target recurve at a garage sale. He started shooting that and absolutely fell in love with archery. He learned everything about archery while shooting the recurve and when he gave the compound a second try he wasn't intimidated by it at all.

I suggest starting them out the way most of us started out!

Quick Reply: What bow to start kids?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.