Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Put silencers on Switchback?? >

Put silencers on Switchback??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Put silencers on Switchback??

Old 08-27-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Put silencers on Switchback??

I was wondering if anybody puts silencers or any Sims Dampening devices on your Switchbacks or Outbacks? When I bought mine they told me that I wouldn't need any of that stuff because mathews has the cable bumper things (thats the technical term incase you didn't know) and the harmonic dampeners.
My Switchback seems like there is a little bit of twang there that could be prevented with some string silencers.

I think I need to shoot my old bow again so I appreciate the switchback as much as when I got it!
Old 08-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Put silencers on Switchback??

supaarcher-----owning a MMMMMMathews,you will definately need all the help you can get
Seariously though-----string leaches or cat whiskers can help in big dividends.Try a good stabilizer as well like the Doinker D2 .
All bows no matter what manufacteur they are, have noise coming from somewhere,vibrations of some sort.The stabilizer and string silencers I mentioned can do wonders for your bow,and for your shooting.
Good luck
Old 08-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did your try the heavier solid brass harmonic dampners, that came with your bow?
Old 08-27-2005, 09:25 AM

I have shot next to quite a few of those bows with the string dampners on them. In my opinion they are not that quiet. I would put string silencers on it and see if it makes a difference. Me personally, if I bought a new mathews I would take the the string dampners off and just use silencers in the string. I'm not to keen on my string slamming into something when I let it go.

Just my opinion though. I have seen a lot of guys that thought they had quiet bows until they get next to someone that really does.

Paul
Old 08-27-2005, 09:36 AM

I wouldn't put the limb savers on. Don't think you'll need them. Did it not come with string leaches. Mine did. The only noise I can hear isthe peep tubing twanging. I tied three evenly spaced knots onthe peep tubing, and it seemed to help a little.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:50 AM

It's funny how everyone is so worried about the sound of your bow and how every one wants to quiet them down so that the deer won't jump when he hears the shot.
At bowsite.com they performed a recent test putting the top bows in the market today against each other in many different catagories. One of them was sound to see which bows were louder than others. It was interesting to read that some bows they could easily tell were louder than others when standing right next to the guy that was shooting, But when they stood down range by the target(protected of course) None of them could hear the difference between any of the bows. I guess the way i look at it a deer's hearing is so great he's going to hear you no madder how quiet your bow is. Heres that test they did if you want to read it.

.http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/2005head2head/
when its done loading hit the red arrow that says continue.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:08 AM

I recently shot with a fella that has a new Switchback and I NEVER..........EVER...........EVER heard (actually not heard) a bow that quiet. I even made the comment to him that it almost seems unfair to the deer

Seriously........this thing was silent......just the slightest whooosh of the arrow slicing through the air.

I really doubt that whiskers will be more quiet then the string bumpers they have but maybe both together would do something more for ya.

Make sure you check EVERY nut on that bad boy for tightness first though.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:49 AM

I put limbsavers on my switchback and it definately helped the vibration. I dont think it helped the noise because there isnt much to start with.