Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 De-Stink Hunting Clothing >

De-Stink Hunting Clothing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

De-Stink Hunting Clothing

Old 08-22-2005, 10:19 PM

Default De-Stink Hunting Clothing

What do you guys do to air out your hunting clothes before the season? I have a hunting jacket that I decided to wear to work all last winter and spring, a guy that shares my office smokes and I need to get that stink off my jacket. I have some of that Fresh Earth Laundry Detergent, but I think that I'll end up with Tide residue on my clothes (10,000 loads of tide have gone through the machine that smell isn't going away with one load of Carbo Wash.) I was thinking about airing everything outside, but I live in a city and I figure that I'll end up with the smog smell. What do you guys think.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:25 PM

Default RE: De-Stink Hunting Clothing

Wash it in scent free soap by hand if you don't trust the machine and throw some earth scent dryer sheets in the dryer if you can't hang it outdoors.........store it in your bag with earth wafers and that's about the best you can do.........if your hunting area is close by grab some local foliage and toss it in with your stuff...........can't hurt to smell like the trees your hunting right?

Just my 2 cents.........I wouldn't wear a jacket I plan to hunt in around people that smoke............and I am far from a scent freak.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Typical Buck

I don't wear my hunting cloths for ANYTHING but hunting just because I think that's a big mistake.

That said, I did read about something that makes more sense to me than that charcoal stuff.

Get a used drier to use or keep out side some where. You can get them for nothing or next to nothing when the heat element is burnt out. Just run the fan and tumble them outside or some where with a minimum of added scent. I believe this would do a lot to de-scent clothing.

Can't say I've tried it to confirm but if I was looking to take scent control to the "next" level, this is the direction I'd go before I paid any extra of some kind of "magic" cloths.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I Just hang it outside for weeks and or in the neighbors steer pens. I like to stink when hunting close up to deer. Step in manure on the way to the stand.pull and grab that natural garlic grass, pine sap, shunk cabbage.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would run the washer once with just thescent eliminating detergent in it once and then on the second time actually put the clothes in there. Air them outside to dry and then spray them down with a good scent eliminating spray (your choice). Air them out some more and then put them in a sealed container with some earth/woodsy smelling materials...pine cones, etc....
Old 08-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I stuff my hunting clothes in a bag with leaves, pine branches, and other things to give it a real woodys smell.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

I would run the washer once with just thescent eliminating detergent in it once and then on the second time actually put the clothes in there. Air them outside to dry and then spray them down with a good scent eliminating spray (your choice). Air them out some more and then put them in a sealed container with some earth/woodsy smelling materials...pine cones, etc....

That's what I do. I wash the hunting clothes that are inside layers (T-shirts, underwear, etc.) in the Scent Killer detergent, then I wash everyting again plus add the outerware. I use the fresh earth dryer sheets, and then I hang outside.

I transport the clothing in a largeplastic Action Packer and whe nI get to my destination, I hang everything up outside, spray it down good with Fresh Earth scent killer.

(At my cabin, we have no running water,) so when I get dressed the next morning, I use the various Scent Killer products (deoderent, I use the lotion for my hair,beard and groin.) before putting on any of my outerware, I spray my hands good with scent killer and then get dressed. Immediately upon getting into the woods, I look for a bunch of mud or fresh deer droppings. I step in those, and smear them on the top side of my boots as well.

The last few years, getting winded hasn't been my problem.....getting the big boys to come on the correct trail is.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 PM

hey i need to wake my wife up to read this she thinks i am out of my mind. but i dont think you can ever do to much to try to eliminate scent, by the way i do own and use a scentlok clothing and i believe it has helped me get close to deer i probably wouldnt have without it. and even if it doesnt work it boosts my confidence and that cant hurt.