Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting clothing

Old 10-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default hunting clothing

I keep my hunting clothing in the garage in a rubbermaid containier. The family cat is out there along with the car. Do you think clothes will pick up any smells while in the garage?
Old 10-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting clothing

if its in a sealed container you should be ok! however just to be safe i would bring them out into the backyard and lay them in some leaves and stuff, and let them hang outside for a while, and it will get rid of any odors they might have picked up!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Since Rubbermaid containers are not generally hermetically sealed your clothing is undoubtedly picking up some foreign odors, keeping them in the garage is probably a poor choice anyway, washing them in Sportwash and baking soda before use will eliminate the problem. We have a spare bedroom in our home that has become my "man cave", I store mine there with an ozone generator to keep them as odor free as possible. I still spray them down with scent killer before use just to make sure.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did go through all that stuff until this year.Got really really lazy.
Washed my clothes in Baking soda sealed them up in zip lock bags,by the time my my first hunt was over( all my hunting clothes smelled like cigars and whisky ) just left them to hang for my moose hunt cause figured they were gonna get that way pretty darn quickly again......
My clothes are going on smelling like about three bottles of whiskey 4 flats of beer and and a couple of cartons of cigars now .....
Moose didn't mind the smell, called 5 in toshooting range,buddies killed 2 of them I shot mine not 20yrds away..
Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Drop a fresh earth scent wafer in the container and there will be no probs. thats what i do and no problems with them picking up any other scents. just make sure you dont open it when your wife is around. i made that mistake and i almost got kicked out cause she couldn't stand the smell of the dirt. Oh well she married me she'll get used to it.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 AM

I wash mine in baking soda, hang them outside on my porch, then spray down with Scent Killer when I get to my stand. I rarely get busted on scent.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Depending on your wood surroundings, I like to you Earth scent biscuts or Cedar, I also find an old cedar tree and cut 2 biscuts about 3 to 4 inches in diameter and inclose them in the container gives a Great cedar cover scent.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevanddj

I also find an old cedar tree and cut 2 biscuts about 3 to 4 inches in diameter and inclose them in the container gives a Great cedar cover scent.
Agreed. Next time you are out hunting, cut a branch or two of a cedar tree that is right around the area you are hunting and put that in the container with your clothing. Everytime I open the container, I get a nice blast of cedar smell and surprisingly, the cut cedar limb stays alive for quite a while and continues to produce a strong cedar smell.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

depends if it pees on it.......if so bring out the shotgun bye bye kitty!