Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what would you do? maybe state record! >

what would you do? maybe state record!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what would you do? maybe state record!

Old 08-22-2005, 02:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what would you do? maybe state record!

Everyone wants to be successful. Dut to me records mean nothing. Killing a deer like that Causes greedand envy and yes even enemies to surface.Kill it ,Thank God and yes show it to friends,but dont make a national monument out of it.AND like someone said dont tell anyone where it is,If you do I guarantee you people will be trying to poach it.Situations like this can get ugly.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

shoot him now. you will kick yourself very very hard if you have the opp and don't, and someone else does. keep the video to yourself unless you want the entire state hunting your spot.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have trouble posting pics....send them to me and i'll post them for you.
[email protected]
Old 08-22-2005, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can't believe this is even a debate. Shoot it. Be happy and let the score fall where it may.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

or would you give him a year and hope he is not shot this year and you miss out!
If you already have some nice bucks to your credit and have the willpower to wait then I would do just that. On the other hand, if you are like me then you would just shoot him the first opportunity that he presents.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd hunt him and take the shot if it presents itself.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:46 AM

I think its pathetic the only thing you are thinking about is net score and trying to snag a record here. Hunt him hard, enjoy the outdoors, say a few prayers in your treestand and if you get lucky enough to get a shot at a monster buck ? Take it and be happy regardless of net/gross score
Old 08-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

While not trying to be modest, I was put in a similar situation two years ago. I had a goal of topping the county record for either largest typical or nontypical buck for archery. I'm located in Douglas County, Wisconsin, you guys can look up the records if you want. I had two typical bucks that I was sure would pass, and one non-typical that I was sure would make it as well. I hunted hard for that NT. On about the 30th day in stand I had the opportunity to take a solid 130" nine point buck. Tempting as it was, I let him walk...knowing that the opportunity to take a world class deer was just around the corner. On day 40 I saw the buck I wanted at 60 yards. And that was as close as I ever got. A neighbor shot him only days after. My point is to do what you are most comfortable with. If you have a goal for yourself you should do whatever you can in your power to accomplish that goal. If your goal is to top that state record for #1 whitetail with archery equipment, I'd say do it now.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like acase of , "I caught a 6lb bass" and its really 3.5 or 4 lbs. I would bet money this deer does not break the state record even if he was lucky enough to actually harvest this particular animal.If its fame and money you are after go get on American Idol or Star Search. Or better yet, dont shoot it, yeah leave that 140 class buck for someone with more brains to harvest it. Most bucks are lucky to get past 3 years old.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

cardeer wrote:
.Kill it ,Thank God and yes show it to friends,but dont make a national monument out of it.
and I agree. It's a silly question. Something could happen to him by next year or next month, not to mention that something could happen to you (god forbid). so cherish your time that you have hunting him and hopefully he won't make it too easy for you.

Quick Reply: what would you do? maybe state record!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.