Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what would you do? maybe state record! >

what would you do? maybe state record!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what would you do? maybe state record!

Old 08-21-2005, 08:45 PM

Default what would you do? maybe state record!

i have spotted a buck that by what i can see, is close to a new state record! i found this buck last year, and he made it though the season and the winter. he eats on private land and beds on public. my ? is = if you had a buck that was withen 5"-10" of a new state record, and the deer is only 3 years old, would you shoot him and hope for the record?
or would you give him a year and hope he is not shot this year and you miss out!
show me the light please! i do have him on video, should i take this to the official scorer in the area, to get a better feel for what he scores?
thanks everyone![&:]
Old 08-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what would you do? maybe state record!

I'd strongly advise you to not show anyone that video unless you shoot that buck.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

125" or more, it's a done deal. New state record? Kind of a silly question for me. There is no guarantees he will be around next year and I don't care where you hunt private, public, or even in a game farm for that matter.
So yes I would take him as soon as he gave me chance.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:02 PM

I'd second what James said, and also suggest you spend some more time trying to get more/different looks at the deer to maybe get a better idea of score. To answer your question, with the deer bedding on public land, I would take him at three years if given the opportunity...
Old 08-21-2005, 09:07 PM

I strongly agree with James Vee!! Dont show anyone that tape. As soon as you do the entire state will be in those woods. As far as the shot I would take it in a heartbeat if he is really that big. Who cares if he's a few inches short of record, you have the oportunity to hunt one of God's most beautiful and elusive creatures!! But when it all comes down to it, its really a personal decision that only you can make. Good Luck!!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:09 PM

What state are you from?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:11 PM

Where I hunt, on large acreage that is privatly owned, I would pass on the buck. ONLY because of his age. That buck might lock antlers with another buck and die before I see him again, or maybe coyotes would get him, but thats a change I'm willing to take. We actually have a buck on the ranch that we passed up the last two years because he was not old enough. Last year we aged him at 5 1/2 and his sheds from last year (both found about 100 yds apart) had a NET B&C score of 183" as a typical 12 pointer. WE have killed alot of big deer in the past and we have alot of mature BIG deer still on the ranch and we will always have big deer, so for us, passing up a buck because of his age is an easy chose most of the time. And that 183" that I mentioned above would ACTUALLY be a new Tx state record if somebody where to shoot him with a bow. He would notbreak the state record if killed with a rifle. The current state record tyical killed by a bow was actually taken on a different ranch just 15 miles from ours.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:26 PM

Send me the address so I can come and evaluate the buck!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:31 PM

What state are we talking about? I assume you are talking about a 180+ buck. There are only a very very very few exceptions I would make on a buck like this. If I were on my friends 12k Kansas lease, a very well regulated and controlled ranch in Texas or a very large farm/lease in a trophy state like Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois etc I would let him walk if I thought I had a reasonable chance of seeing this buck again. What I am saying is if I had been watching this buck repeatedly for 3 years and knew he spent his time on a place like I mentioned, then and ONLY then would I take a chance. Otherwise I would PULL THE PLUG on that buck. I don't care how old he is or isn't a 180+ buck in 95% of huntings country is a one in a million deer and I would PROUDLY pull the trigger! If you haven't seen bucks like him ever before in your area he is all the more a freak and a true trophy. Leaving him wouldn't have a large, longterm effect on a normal area.

I agree, don't DARE show that video to anyone, ESPECIALLY someone like a local scorer who knows alot of people and might get word too the WRONG person!!!
RA
Old 08-21-2005, 09:53 PM

o.k. here we go, i am from wyoming. no he is a whitetail! i have seen him about 4-5 times this year, got him on video 3 times. i got a digital pic. from 100 yards or so. if i know how to post it i would!
this buck is in the 145+ to 155. wyoming record for archery is 153 6/8. my father got a 142" 5x5, two years ago. i have sment alot of time cross checking these two.
my problems on size is main beam? it goes out to 1" outside his ears and then swings forward comes to about 12" from touching the tips. i believe the 2 back tines are right at 10"-11" on both sides, eye guards are 4" maybe 5. the last fronts are 5". the big thing is his mass, thick horns, i think 6" bases, i have one in my house with 5" and this guy is heavier.
he is with 3 others, 2 of them are in the 120-130 class. and when he stands next to them it is WOW! he towers over them. i will try to get some pics on if i can? i have put a trail camera up, just took it down to get pics. i had it up 3 days and it shows 26 pics. hopefully it is not all does, or elk. if there is something usefull i will try to post.
what do think about those # for this guy, is he close! or am i just thinking he is bigger than he is? i mean do you over judge the size when they are in velvet?
thanks

Quick Reply: what would you do? maybe state record!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.