Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting land question >

Hunting land question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting land question

Old 07-28-2005, 01:09 PM

Default RE: Hunting land question

I would leave well enough alone. You've got a pretty sweet deal and I would be hesitant to do anything that would jepordize it. Getting a lease may not be a bad idea, but with the intent to post the land might just piss off theguy who lets you in.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Getting a lease may not be a bad idea, but with the intent to post the land might just piss off theguy who lets you in.
Yea, but that also can work both ways. A couple of neighbors asked my permission to hunt my land a few years ago, I give them permission on a yearly basis. Last year, they mentioned that they saw quite a few people trespessing on my land (a lot of my posted signs were faling down), they asked if they could re-post my land, and I jumped at the chance since I didn't get a chance to myself. Now they have ongoing written permission to hunt. And I only allow written permission since last year. - Only for gun season that is.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:26 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I can see both sides on this one, kind of stuck between a rock anda hard place. By the way you described the old gentleman it sounds as if he is fairly non-sociable and very independant. With that in mind you ask to post his property it is liable to make him mad, also if you go offering money to help with taxes, ins. whatever he will likely be offended. That would be my take with how you described him.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Tough situation. I would wait and see how if anything develops. You have already received permission and have been helping out when needed. Perhaps in future conversations you can feel him out as to how he feels about leasing. Believe it or not.....there are still a few landowners who will not lease property for hunting because they feel they may be giving too much control to someone using their land. One other thing.....if you initiate the leasing, he may get the idea of taking bids for leasing in the future.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

One other thing.....if you initiate the leasing, he may get the idea of taking bids for leasing in the future.
Thats kind of what I'm worried about. The wheels may start turning.

Thanks for the opinions and advice everyone. The landowner isn't strapped for cash from what I can tell. He's a retired physicist and doing pretty well. His house is a few blocks away from the land that he owns. I'm not even sure why he owns it to be honest with you. I've never seen him past his 2 acre backyard. Probably to avoid houses from popping up in the neighborhood if he sold it .
The other thing I'd be worried about would be the 2 guys that hunt the handful of shotgun days that they are out there. Right now they do their thing and we do ours. Not the greatest relationship in the world between us and them. They may have a fit about the whole thing too and add complication to it. I'm just afraid that if that happens then the landowner may just say to heck with all of ya which I wouldn't blame him really. Why would he want to be bothered with all that? Tough situation I guess.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never put all your eggs in one basket. Let the thing be untill he says no more or you decide to move on. In the mean time find more land to hunt on. Do the best you can to show the man how thankful you are for the privilage and when it's over you can look him in the eye anywhere you may meet him in the future and talk as friends. That's the most important thing. I wouldn't doubt it if he will have regretted, in some way, the way things turned out and tries to make it up, with out the slightest mention of cash just because he respects and trust's you. Keep the relationship pure and simple, don't try and manipulate the man and when it's over you've done your best and have nothing to regret.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:33 PM

It's a tough problem but the solution could be to hit the middle and do both. Do it the Italian way, with gifts and kindness. Get the guys to caught up some money and slip it in a nice thank you card. It doesn't have to be a lot of money, maybe $100 each but not much more or you will appear to be rich. Just enough to get his attention. Attach the card to a nice bottle of whisky or a nice new jacket. When you visit him one day to drop off some venison or plow his drive offer him the gift and say how much the guys really appreciate his permission to hunt the land. Tell him how much the guys know how lucky they are to know a landowner like him and how carefull they are with his land. How you guys never drive across fields leaving ruts all over the place, never leave fences wide open, never cutting fences, or bringing alcohol onto his property and leaving garbage all over the place "like some other hunters do." That last part is important, make sure he knows how some other hunters can be abusive of permission and make an awfull mess of his place. If this goes well ask him for permission to hunt during the next season. He'll probably say yes. But if he seems hesitant tell him that if he ever was short of money you guys would be happy to make things legal and lease hunting rights to the land because at least he would be "leasing it to people he knows and trusts not to cause problems".
I don't care how much money some other hunters may dangle in front of him he will still prefer to lease to people he knows. You guys have proven yourself to be responsible hunters and that has value in itself. Make sure he knows it.

But if all that doesn't work you can always slip a severed horses head in bed with him.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Good one Max.