Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting on land question >

hunting on land question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting on land question

Old 02-27-2006, 05:51 PM

Default hunting on land question

i live in new york, and i was wondering theres alot of land upstate with deer,and out here on longisland where i live, i wanted to know if anyone knows the laws on if your aloud to hunt on land thats not posted or oqupied by someone, if anyone has a page on the exact law on hunting state land or anything like that i would grealty appreciate it!
(basiclly i wanted to know am i just aloud to walk in the woods in an area not posted for miles and hunt)
Old 02-27-2006, 11:35 PM

Default RE: hunting on land question

Legally you could hunt the land. Ethically?...That's a different story. Just find out who the landowner is and ask permission (if you don't, the land will likely be posted next season). That's the beauty of bowhunting (no stray bullets flying around). If the owner is a farmer or even has a garden, he or she will probably appreciate a little free "critter control". The company I work for owns 1700 acres. A few years back we asked for permission to bowhunt on it, and after meeting with the plant manager and agreeing on some ground rules, we were given the go ahead. Once you get permission be sure to respect any rules the owner might have. And if you can return the favor that wouldn't hurt either...you would be surprised how much some venison, a bottle of good scotch, or even a little yardworkcan be appreciated!
Old 02-28-2006, 06:54 AM

YUCK.... Scotch. I'll take some venison though
Old 02-28-2006, 07:31 AM

Where is your property?...You've got yourselfa deal!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 AM

ty for the post nc, theres this wide strip of land i wanted to hunt not posted for miles, the only thing i wanted to know is about how many miles does it have to be for you to hunt on it, like in other words if theres this patch of woods 500 yards not posted by anyone but a house across the street im sure you cant hunt that, so basiclly how much land is the minum to hunt?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:28 AM

You're asking a couple different questions rolled up into one, but all of the questions are specific to the locations themselves:

1. What is the law regarding safe distances from dwellings? This is typically a state by state regulation. For example, in MA, you cannot hunt or discharge a firearm or bow within 500 feet of a dwelling in use (including sheds, barns, etc.) unless you have owner permission. You also cannot hunt or discharge a firearm or bow within 200 feet of a hardened road.

That last part varies GREATLY from state to state.

2. What are the laws regarding private property? This varies from both state to state and town to town. Some towns require written permission to hunt ANY private property. Some towns don't require any permission at all unless the land is posted. And then there's everything in between.

I don't think the total area of the parcel has anything to do with whether you can hunt or not, or at least it does not usually and you will want to research that within the bylaws of the town you wish to hunt in.

Typically the main concern is proximity to roads and dwellings and outbuildings.

Ah! Here's a link to your state Regs:
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/hunting.html#Discharge

Edit: Google is your friend!
http://www.citidexli.com/390.htm
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wma/lihunt.htm
Old 02-28-2006, 09:37 AM

ty roscoe u asnwered all my questions!