Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Logged hunting land question

Old 11-16-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Logged hunting land question

A buddy of mine has a neighbor with alot of land that they do not hunt and said we could if we liked but the thing is it has been logged of all big timber just reciently how long does it take for deer to come back to land after this? Is it even worth going up there this year?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Logged hunting land question

The land I hunt was logged this summer while I was on vacation, last of July. I've seen more deer out here now than I saw last year. The growth that comes back seems to have attracked them. Look out though, all the leftover mess on the ground makes it hard to walk in and out without making a lot of noise.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:17 PM

You would likely still seem some this year, if like already stated, undergrowth has had a chance to grow in. Next year will likely be better and the year after better yet. They like the easy browse.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:25 PM

my favorite spots to hunt in the club I was in, was the cut areas.I would hunt them while they were cutting it. the deer love cuts,fresh or old.
I have had the loggers tell me where they see the bucks.I have gone there and taken good bucks with in a few days.

it is well worth the time to go there right now.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I grew up working for my dad...By 15 I was going out and working on chainsaws and John Deere skidders in the log woods...Deer come in at night and eat the leaves off the trees that were cut that day...Hunt it right now...You will get about 2-3 years of good hunting before it becomes too thick to hunt, then its a bedding area...Unless of course they re-plant and keep shooting lanes opened up...
Old 11-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Except for acorns, there isn't a lot of forage for a deer to eat in a mature timber stand. Harvest of the timber will encourage new growth of briars and other browse that will help the deer. This should help the hunting..
Old 11-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

my favorite spots to hunt in the club I was in, was the cut areas.I would hunt them while they were cutting it. the deer love cuts,fresh or old.
I have had the loggers tell me where they see the bucks.I have gone there and taken good bucks with in a few days.

it is well worth the time to go there right now.
Agreed! Fresh cuts are a gold mine. Hunt it now.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:35 PM

For sure hunt it. My dad's a logger and I've seen deer feeding in clear cuts the day after they have been cut. They love the tops of the timber. Also good bedding area around the tops.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

I agree. My cousin is a logger and he says his chain saw is a deer call. Its like ringing the dinner bell after the frosts, especially if there's no acorn crop. Can't hurt to check it out.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the woods I hunt was logged 3 years ago. I shot a 7 pointer 2 hours after the loggers left on opening day. They'll stay around.....

chris

Quick Reply: Logged hunting land question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.