Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The good and the bad >

The good and the bad

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The good and the bad

Old 07-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The good and the bad

That's a bummer. I'm dreading the day when one of my landowners asks for money. I am as nice as I can be, and always on the look out for new places.

And before you guys complain about people's right tomake some coin.....look at it from the tons of people who've enjoyed hunting all thier lives for nothing more than a smile, a handshake, and maybe a little sweat. When you've done something all your life basically for free and then get charged a significant amount of money...it is a GIANT and painfull pill to swallow.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:11 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Exactly what the farmer thinks ry. When you have done something all your life, a ton of sweat and basically for free then you have to start asking for money to hunt because it is the only way you can make any. Don't think that greed drives a lot of these guys to charge for hunting. The price farmers and ranchers are paid for their commodities have changed very little overthe last 50 years. Think their operating expenses are still the same? I bet you would be surprised to see the net income statement on their tax returns every year.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paying for lease land is pretty much a fact of life where I'm at. There is some public land around, but I've already been shot at in my life and have no great desire to put myself in that position again. The only thing that I can offer is that if you work directly with a land owner, sometimes you can get cheaper lease rates for doing improvements to the land, not building permanent stands, etc...We do that on one of our leases where the owner is out of town. Heck, we even cleaned a deer that he shot when he came into town last year. Sometimes this pays off. We are leasing it for half of what the going rate is in our area. You might try that approach.

What you have to watch for is doing the improvements for the owner when you are leasing, and have the owner turn around and lease it to someone else for more. That happened on a corporate lease that my old company had. We tore down everything that we put out there and brought it back.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:42 PM

Get used to the fact that if you don't own land you might have to pay someone who does to be able to hunt on it. It's a fact of capitalist life and it isn't getting any better. Twenty years ago you would've never paid to drink water when water fountains were everywhere but look at all that bottled water now.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:19 PM

Man, it must be nice to live up north. If a landowner around here told me I could hunt his land for free, Iwould have to assume he was hopped up on crack. Land in this area leases for $10.00-$25.00 an acre. $15.00 an acre is average.If you don't pay, you don't hunt. Even at these prices, it's almost impossible to find a piece of property that's not already being leased. Public land is scarce and if you do decide to hunt it, you can pretty well bet on at least one near death experience each season due to someone else's negligence. $500.00 to hunt 140 acres? Consider yourself lucky.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:26 AM

thanks for the input guys
Old 07-29-2005, 05:04 PM

You think that is a bad one, listen to this one.I have permission from a man that owns several hundred acres in the N. Georgia mountains. A private landowner, and his buddy leased some timberland that butts up to this land.There is only 2 access roads to my property, and one is through their lease. I made the mistake of showing a picture of 160" 10 pointer that I got with my trail cam the week after I tagged out. This buck would be a county record. the landowner, an influential construction company owner, had the back entrance, the only other way in, blocked with boulders. He refuses to allow me legal access through their lease. The property owner that gives me permission to hunt, will not put this in writing for fear of liability. I have tried to sign a release and everything I can think of to get him to put the agreement in writing. The only way that I can force them to allow me access is if I obtain this in writing from the landowner.This is all because of 2 greedy 'hunters' that want to force me off this land for their own obvious reasons.It infuriates me, as this land has been very productive for me, as well as holds the possible county record, and I have no recourse, unless this man changes his mind. If I push too hard, he''ll deny me permission. If I don't get him to put it in writing, I'm out of luck! What would you do?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:13 PM

Hey sounds like your in a pretty big pinch, I was once told that if you have something that everyone else wants, or wants to know about don't tell or show anyone it because it won't be long before its not just yours anymore. As far as what you should do i think i would just keep pushing because by the way it sounds your out if you don't, and if you do you could get back in there or you could be out so i would just keep pushing.