Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The good and the bad >

The good and the bad

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The good and the bad

Old 07-26-2005, 01:52 PM

Default The good and the bad

Well i went to my girlfriends graduation party on saturday and got talking for awhile with one of her uncles who is big into hunting, well we talked for about 2 or 3hrs. then he said if you ever need a place to hunt of want to hunt you can come with me, well turns out its like a 140 acres to hunt and he has about 15 to 20 stands all set up already pretty good deal.

Now for the bad new, I went to talk to my farmer friend where i hunted last year, well talked to him for about 10mins. and found out now he had the land all switched into his name and he's is thinking about leasing the land out. AHHH NOO now where am I going to hunt I really don't have a lot of money laying around for a lease and really don't like thinking about a lease because the way i see it is like paying $500 for a deer is rediculous and i can only hunt with the girlfriends uncle once in awhile because it is so far away from here. I mean i thought I was pretty nice to him last year i mean helped out on the farm a little and gave him some of the deer I got off of his land but i guess now days everything revolves around money nothing is like it used to be.

This whole things just kind of pisses a guy off your so nice and help out a lot and now your expected to pay to hunt the land I just don't get it.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:07 PM

Default RE: The good and the bad

Did he say he that you would have to lease it to hunt on it? That wasn't really clear in your post. If so, yeah that sux but bottom line is it's his property and the almighty dollar looks better than sweat and friendship to more land owners these days. Maybe you could talk him inot letting you hunt it for free or trade and he can lease it to other hunters? Worth a try. I only have 11 acres of private land left which my long time friend lives on. The rest is public land.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you think he owes you something. You helped him work and he let you hunt. Sounds like you are even to me. Do you think the guy should be forever indebted to you? It sounds to me like the man wants to best utilize his land to make a decent living and provide for himself and his family. Since it's his land that should be his perogative shouldn't it? You begrudge this guy for wanting to put a little coin in his pocket but you don't think you should have to take any out of yours. I personnally get sick and tired of hearing people come in here and b*tch about what someone else does with their land because they think someone owes them a free ride. The guy has an oppurtunity to put a little money in his pocket and that's what he is doing. That's his job! That's like saying you wouldn't take a raise if your boss offered it to you because one of the other people in the office wouldn't get a raise if you got one. I doubt you would do that. You would look out for your best interest and the best interest of your family and that's exactly what he is doing.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:47 PM

No i dont think he owes me something, now that i over read it again andit kind of sounds that way. All i am getting at is that it sucks because i really dont got a lot of money laying around to payfor a lease. But ifI was the farmer I would probably be doing the same thing he is soI don't know
Old 07-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you put it in those terms I agree with you whole heartedly. It sucks to lose ground but you have to think about it from his side as well. It may work out that you find and even better spot. Either way i hope it works out for you.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:56 PM

Yea that's definately a bummer. I don't have any private ground to hunt but luckily here in Missouri we have lots of good public tracts of land that I have to myself a majority of the time. Hope it works out for you.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Well you'll have to wait and see. Personally I won't pay to hunt. I already pay too much for my equipment and missing overtime at work. If he finds that he's loosing more money to crop damage/ property damage, then he makes with leasing, maybe he'll change his mind. It sucks to lose hunting land but it's his land to decidewho goes on and if he wants payment. If I were you I'd start knocking on doors and making friends of other farmers. Even if he doesn't charge it's always good to have a back up place to hunt. The ONLY problem I have with farmers leasing their land to hunters is the fact that I seeand hear a lot b!tching and complaining about crop/property damage. They want the state, game commision/DNR to do something about it, which is usually allow more deer to be taken from their landand tax breaks. I find something very seriously wrong with a person that gets a tax break for damage then wants hunters to pay to help solve their problem. I say it should be one or the other. Tax break or lease the land.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that the situation stinks to high heaven and can understand why you would be upset. On the other hand, things don't seem to be set in stone yet so I would feel the farmer out a bit more on the situation. Maybe you can strike up some kind of deal that you both can live with.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

I would go to the farmer and just straight out ask him if you can hunt on his land, ask him if he leases it, can you be written into the contract as a steward, basically someone who watches over the farmers land while it's being leased by others, making sure the people who lease it do no damage to the property. I'd bet he would go for it, almost like insurance for free with the exception of you hunting on the property. Go for it and let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:11 PM

This whole trade idea has got me thinking maybe there is some kind of way to be able to hunt his land without paying thanks for the input

Quick Reply: The good and the bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.