Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial >

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Old 08-18-2005, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

I wear both. I bought the X-Scent last year at Cabelas when it first came out. Although I never did buy the socks.

It seemed to work great for me. I was never snorted at last season. Was I ever winded that I didn't know about?? That I cannot answer. I can also tell you I shot a mature buck directly down wind last year. Does that prove it works? No, but it proves he didn't smell me for what ever reason though.

But, I also agree with the if you don't start out with scent free showers with scent free deodrant and powders everytime out there is no point to use Scent Lok and X-Scent.

I also wear Gore-Tex (Cabela's MT050 Gore-Tex Scent Lok) and I do believeGore-Tex helps keep scent down as well in windy weather.

Without Gore-Tex the wind can and will cut right through your layers and blow your scent right through your clothes and all over the woods. Gore-Tex does not allow any wind to cut through and I believe really helps keep your scent down. And no I have no scientific study to prove this..

With the Gore-Tex, Scent Lok, X- Scent, Scent Killer spraysand strict scent free showering practicesI believe it really bumps the favorto you the hunterin the human scent game.

A little long winded but figured I would throw my thoughts and experiences out there
Old 08-18-2005, 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

Again........show me the science..........not someone's quote..........I have no idea who he is or who paid him to say that. Show me the documented science that says through a controlled study that human scent is removed from carbon in a dryer.

Not to mention that dryers go over 130.......and no human I know puts off gas vapors, chloroform or methanol vapors as BO (maybe a few boozers have some methanol in their BO)............so that is meaningless also.
How can you post quotes , or cut & paste different quotes , and then stick your nose up at someone who posts quotes contrary to yours?

Here's a very interesting read for anyone seeking a scientific view point.
http://aqes.cee.uiuc.edu/Publications/AQES/carbon/DimotakisEST1995.pdf
Contrary has nothing to do with it. I expect and enjoy other opinions........without them there wouldn't be much need for discussion now would there

Asking if the quotes are from a controlled study or just random opinions is not sticking your nose up..........it's puts the quotes into proper context.

BTW.........your link doesn't work.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Put the lotion in the basket!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Put the lotion in the basket!
"It puts the lotion in the basket ."
From "The Silence of the Lambs"

Get your quotes right , Justin . Don't make me argue with you !
Old 08-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say, I agree with Atlas. If these things help; it isn't in significant proportions. What’s to say you go to all that trouble ($) and time, and yet something else on your person/equipment stinks? So much can be made up for with typical camo (Wal-Mart) and just washing it appropriately and drip drying. Same attention to detail with equipment. My stuff is kept apart from serious odors and is kept outside the night before the hunt. I have had huge bucks come in and I haven’t had any come in. Could be tough to do given some scenarios, (live in apartment complex, etc.)

With regards to scents, I do believe they work if used correctly, but you have to be diligent in knowing what works and what doesn’t. I have had them literally run into scent, and other days just stroll by. The camo is a different story to me.

There are too many variables to consider and you cannot compensate enough with money. I think the basics are a better course of action as opposed to spending hard earned money on these high-priced suits. But I will say there is some validity in gaining confidence from these products. Perhaps a hunter feels better in the stand knowing these steps have been taken. I just think in the end they are not necessary, but that’s me. Again, if it makes you feel better, then that could be sufficient reason to make the purchase.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas, me first...sure no problem, proofs in the pudding bud! Public land whitetails all of them btw.... cougars, wolves bears... humans are the least of their worries... and remember my state isnt known at all for big whitetails.. so consider my buck scores realitve to what the state produces..

1. lets just go year by year, when I first started wearing scent lok, and paying close attention to detail involving scent minimization.....hows that sound? fair enough.., 1998...

1998, 135 class buck 3.5 years old, 12 yards off the ground with his head on a licking branch

1999, 125 class 5x5 moch scrape, 15 yards. (have one of his sheds)

2000 134 inch 4x4 3.5 year old, have a set of his sheds, 25 yards wind in his face, rattle in on my mock scrape line...

2001 121 inch 4x4 had 10 different deer down wind of me including him that day. Grunted him up the hill to me. 10 yard shot. 1 shed from him...

2001 137 inch 5x5 Set my brother up on this buck in a big ravine he grunted him in dead down wind of him.. 12 yard shot right in his lap..

2002, 5x5 dead down wind of my brother rattled him in, 15 yard shot after this buck was tearing up a small sappling... 125 inch buck 240 lb body.

2002 124 inch 4x4 again deer under around my stand all day...shot him at 17 yards wind right in his face, and then the hawg comes by my stand at dark as I am guttingthe 4x4out 50 yards away where he died...you live and ya learn right

2003 made a vow, now more 120 class bucks.. 130 or better or no shots...

2003, Set up a stand for my brother to kill this 5x5 156 inch buck, 30 yards shot. Yup he wears it too. This buck came in directly down wind of him.

2003 145 inch 4x4 scrape line 35 yard shot. Cross wind. 2 sets of his sheds.. I knew him well..

2003 184 inch 8x9 7.5 years old came out of his bedding area, only about 150 yards from me... directly down wind of me right before last shooting light. 40 yard shot. I had sat there in my stand for 4 hours..waiting for him to get up out of bed..and the wind blew towards him pretty much the whole time.. (currently the #3 buck entered by a bow harvest in Idaho's bow catagory, non-typical) I have one of his sheds.. 83 inch gross 9x side

2005, 138 inch 5x5 6 yards cross wind following a doe. (sheds 1 of his)

I have pictures here of every buck do you really want me to load all these pictures ATLAS????

The above is nothing compared to the numerous encouters I have had up close, (bow close) with some real trophy class mature bucks for my geographical area while summer scouting and videoing. I have film of a 110, 120 (two of them) 130, 140, 150, and high 160 to 175 class bucks just last week.. and many of these bucks fed within 40 to 50 yards of me down wind..does too..half a dozen cow elk too..downwind at about 100 yards... NOW IS THIS all a coincidence or do IDAHO deer and elk just have bad NOSES???...

No wait I got it ..I know what it is..its that Deer DNA I had injected as a child..I smell like a deer... ATLAS...your right this scent lok gear is a hoax...

I am shed33 and I approve this nonsense...
Old 08-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas , the link is working fine for me. You need AcrobatReader to open it.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:00 PM

Let me see someone who consistently kills big deer in Idaho (not a mecca for huge bucks),I have seen the pictures.Someone who is bright and is educated in the sciences and who eats,sleeps and breathes whitetail deer,as much a student of whitetail deer from a hunting perspective as any one I am familiar with.I have said it before when Troy talks(aka shed33) those interested in being more successful on the taking of mature bucks would be wise to listen!!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:10 PM

Default I would like to hear from ground hunters

You mention all the deer that came close to you but it sounds like you were in a tree stand.The main reason hunters use tree stands is so that their scent goes above the deer.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33

Atlas, me first...sure no problem, proofs in the pudding bud! Public land whitetails all of them btw.... cougars, wolves bears... humans are the least of their worries... and remember my state isnt known at all for big whitetails.. so consider my buck scores realitve to what the state produces..

1. lets just go year by year, when I first started wearing scent lok, and paying close attention to detail involving scent minimization.....hows that sound? fair enough.., 1998...

1998, 135 class buck 3.5 years old, 12 yards off the ground with his head on a licking branch

1999, 125 class 5x5 moch scrape, 15 yards. (have one of his sheds)

2000 134 inch 4x4 3.5 year old, have a set of his sheds, 25 yards wind in his face, rattle in on my mock scrape line...

2001 121 inch 4x4 had 10 different deer down wind of me including him that day. Grunted him up the hill to me. 10 yard shot. 1 shed from him...

2001 137 inch 5x5 Set my brother up on this buck in a big ravine he grunted him in dead down wind of him.. 12 yard shot right in his lap..

2002, 5x5 dead down wind of my brother rattled him in, 15 yard shot after this buck was tearing up a small sappling... 125 inch buck 240 lb body.

2002 124 inch 4x4 again deer under around my stand all day...shot him at 17 yards wind right in his face, and then the hawg comes by my stand at dark as I am guttingthe 4x4out 50 yards away where he died...you live and ya learn right

2003 made a vow, now more 120 class bucks.. 130 or better or no shots...

2003, Set up a stand for my brother to kill this 5x5 156 inch buck, 30 yards shot. Yup he wears it too. This buck came in directly down wind of him.

2003 145 inch 4x4 scrape line 35 yard shot. Cross wind. 2 sets of his sheds.. I knew him well..

2003 184 inch 8x9 7.5 years old came out of his bedding area, only about 150 yards from me... directly down wind of me right before last shooting light. 40 yard shot. I had sat there in my stand for 4 hours..waiting for him to get up out of bed..and the wind blew towards him pretty much the whole time.. (currently the #3 buck entered by a bow harvest in Idaho's bow catagory, non-typical) I have one of his sheds.. 83 inch gross 9x side

2005, 138 inch 5x5 6 yards cross wind following a doe. (sheds 1 of his)

I have pictures here of every buck do you really want me to load all these pictures ATLAS????

The above is nothing compared to the numerous encouters I have had up close, (bow close) with some real trophy class mature bucks for my geographical area while summer scouting and videoing. I have film of a 110, 120 (two of them) 130, 140, 150, and high 160 to 175 class bucks just last week.. and many of these bucks fed within 40 to 50 yards of me down wind..does too..half a dozen cow elk too..downwind at about 100 yards... NOW IS THIS all a coincidence or do IDAHO deer and elk just have bad NOSES???...

No wait I got it ..I know what it is..its that Deer DNA I had injected as a child..I smell like a deer... ATLAS...your right this scent lok gear is a hoax...

I am shed33 and I approve this nonsense...

That may go down as the all time lamest post on this board............and I stopped reading it 3 lines down.

I meant prove what you said earlier about carbon

I hope you didn't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back

What would make you think I care even a little about something so silly??

Quick Reply: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.