Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow help please! >

Arrow help please!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow help please!

Old 07-17-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Arrow help please!

Guys,

Need some help deciding on some new arrows for hunting season. Hunt whitetails only.

My set up: 2005 Patriot SC, 28 draw, 66 lbs, 27 1/2 inch arrow. 100 gr spitfire

Currently shooting GT XT 5575's weighing 384 gr. total weight.They fly pretty good but am concerned their too light?? Would like to get over 400 gr for hunting.

First...is that weight in arrow too light for my set up and will 20-30 grains make any difference?

I've narrowed my choices to:
- GT Pro Hunter 5575 8.2 gpi
- CE CX Hunter 300's 9.4 gpi
- Easton Axis 400's 8.95 gpi or 340's 9.53 gpi (spine??)

I had decided on the AXIS but after reading some posts on this board I'm a little concerned about the quality. Now I'm second guessing the decision. With these expensive arrows want to make the right choice.

Want spine consistency more than anything!!

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow help please!

I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions on this one. It has been a long time since I first shot the Gold Tips and in the first few batches of themit washard to find a straight arrow in them. I know they have come a long way since then so I'm sure they are of better quality then when they first started up.In all honesty I can't give any kind of practicalrecommendation on the current GTs. All I know is a lot of people here use them.

As for the CXs and the Axis I have used them both in the last couple of years. Despite the hype I wasn't all that impressed with the Axis arrows. I much prefer the CXs. They are advertised as straighter ( I don't know if the average shooter could tell) and I think they hold their spine longer but I have no way of scientifically proving that. I see no advantage to the HIT system either.

There, you have my bias,good luck in your choice.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Arrow help please!

I pretty much agree with everything AE said.

I tried the GT's a few years ago and was not impressed. Consistancy was not all that good and accuracy suffered.

I have looked at the Axis arrows and am not impressed at all with the HIT system. I can not see how in the world a insert system that has the insert deep inside the shaft that leaves the ends of the carbon fibers exposed can be stronger than one that is glued to and protecting the end fibers of a carbon shaft. Seems very illogical to me. That's why people use uni bushings inside the nock end of their shafts...... to keep the nock end of the shaft from splitting. A bushing protecting the ends of the fibers is much stronger than no bushing. I don't care what they say in the advertising.

I love the Carbon Express arrows and shoot the CX series and Terminator selects.I highly reccomend the terminator selects in the black shafts. They weigh 10 grains per inch and are a very tough and consistant shaft. Having a variance of only +- .0025" and +- 1 grain within a dozen. With your set up a finished arrow should weigh about 435 grains. A CX 300 black shaft with a 125 grain head will weigh in at about 405 grains. IMHO these two would be about ideal for you.

I am not a fan at all of the camo shafts from any maker. It does nothing but add weight and inconsistancies to the shaft and makes it harder to pull from targets.