Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HUNTERSFRIEND, LOAD OF DUNG? >

HUNTERSFRIEND, LOAD OF DUNG?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HUNTERSFRIEND, LOAD OF DUNG?

Old 08-07-2005, 10:07 AM

Default RE: HUNTERSFRIEND, LOAD OF DUNG?

I actually purchased a Reflex Denali package from Huntersfriend three years ago and it turned out perfect. This was my first bow and I was a little skeptical as well. Right out the box I was shooting very well, although I probably got lucky with the peep location. They did say that I would likely have to slide the peep a bit since it was set up for the guy tuning it. Their method of measuring draw length worked out great for me. All I had to do was tweak the sight a little and it was right on.

At the time I didn't know anything about bows and accessories and I figured what the heck they probably know what accessories work well with that bow. The bow came with a dozen Gold Tip arrows, Thunderheads, field points, Trophy Ridge Flatliner, Bodoodle Bullet rest, Limb Savers, Leeches, Tornado Deluxe release, string loop, peep, and a case for $708. I priced everything out separately at the time and I think I saved around $50 or so, but I didn't have to pay tax. I chose not to get the sling, stabalizer, and quiver that was included in the package to save some money.

It was nice because they sent a paper with it that listed their best group at 15, 25 and 35 yards, how fast it shot through the chrono after it was set up, and the kinetic energy. They also sent a little booklet with some frequently asked questions and how to take care of the bow, which was perfect for a newbie like myself.

After I shot the bow a few times I noticed that one of the strands was broken on the string (I think they burned it when they served the peep in). I called them up and they sent me Zebra string for free, although I shot the original string for two years. I thought that was pretty cool of them. As I've learned a ton since then, I've been experimenting with other accessories such as whisker biskuit and the No-peep and now I know much better what I like. I know you can get all of this from a pro shop, but I had a good experience with one of their package bows and wouldn't hesitate to get another one from them.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:38 AM

Default RE: HUNTERSFRIEND, LOAD OF DUNG?

Metro,

In my experience, I really didn't have to take my bow anywhere to get worked on in two years. I didn't mess with my rest or nock set, so it stayed tuned during that time. I had Gander Mountain put the Zebra string on this year and they did it for free even though I didn't buy it there. I wasn't happy with how GM "tuned" my bow, so I am at the point of learning to do all of that stuff myself. For me it was a snow ball effect. I put the whisker biskuit on myself and downloaded the Easton tuning guide. I made a simple frame for paper tuning and it has been a lot easier than I originally thought. I took off the brass nock and tied one on with the serving from my old bowstring. Now I'm thinking of getting one of those Bowmaster portable bow presses and even fletching my own arrows. This all seemed like rocket science when I first started.

So basically, in my experience the extra money for the pro shop would not have been worth it, but that's just me.