Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow Performance, Where Am I ? >

Bow Performance, Where Am I ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Performance, Where Am I ?

Old 07-12-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Bow Performance, Where Am I ?

Past two years have been "on the go" for me. New move, new job, new house. Finally ready to get back into bow hunting, something I dida great deal of living in SC and WV.

I am having thoughts of updating my bow system and wanted to get opinions as to where my current set up sits in regards to performance, as measured by current standards.

My bow is about 10 years old, it's a Hoyt Super Star with the "Fast Flight" limbs, at least I think that's what it was called. My draw length is 29", with an over draw my current arrows are Easton 2213's at 25.25" long. With a setting of 69lbs, just 1 lb under the max advertised for my bow, I am getting a 100 grain point to go an average of285 fps as measured by mt Chrony.

What about carbon arrows? What size/brand etc would I need for my set up? I imagine I would pick up some speed going to carbon.

Thoughts??
Old 07-12-2005, 06:42 PM

Default RE: Bow Performance, Where Am I ?

Well, your current arrow weighs 420 grains. That comes to right at 6 grains per pound, at 69 pounds. I get 76 pounds of kinetic energy. Thats, well, darn good. There is nothing you can't kill with that KE. Besides that, 285 is haulin pretty good for a hunting arrow. Yes, if you went to a carbon arrow, you could drop some weight, but, you likely will lose KE and effieciency as well. For instance, I shoot an Easton Excel, and weighs right at 400 grains. Comes to 5.5 grains per pound, and a speed of 290 fps. Just shy of 75 pounds of KE. So, in truth, your current arrows are probably a better selection. Your 2213 will also carry more momentum, which is a good thing. Bottom line is this: If you shoot your bow good, and hit where you want to, that's as good as it gets. Now, if you want to upgrade and buy a new bow, well, that's a different story altogether.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:15 PM

So keeping the high KE is what allows an arrow to "bust through" thick skin, meat, and ultimately... bone? Makes perfect sense. I am very profecient with this bow and have placed a few times at 3D shoots. The only down side is the bow's weight and the noise, this thing sounds unusually loud. However, I have taken many deer with it w/o any problems. Almost all my shots have been "Through And Through".

Sounds like although technology has increased/improved, I have not been "left too far behind".
Old 07-12-2005, 07:33 PM

Have you Dealer install an STS system on your bow and see what it does for the noise and hand shock. If it dosent help or you dont like it, Take it off and it wont cost you a penny. GGBH
Old 07-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

The speed is still quite respectable from a general perspective though I wouldn't have a clue as to what your arrows weigh. The only detrimental thing I really see with your setup is the use of an overdraw. Overdraws magnify any errors in your shooting form. Going to a full length carbon that might weigh the same as your aluminums should relieve you of this issue.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Bowhntr6pt

So keeping the high KE is what allows an arrow to "bust through" thick skin, meat, and ultimately... bone? The only down side is the bow's weight and the noise, this thing sounds unusually loud.
Yes. The high KE will do just that. As far as the noise is concerned, try taking it to your bow tech and have him/her do maintenance on it...ie....lube the limb pockets...that will most likely help quite a bit.