Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 250 SW performance >

250 SW performance

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

250 SW performance

Old 01-22-2007, 01:23 PM

Default 250 SW performance

I have read several posts about the poor or lack of a good blood trail when using the 250 gr SW. I really didn't have time to experiment with a variety of powders and bullets before my last deer hunt for this year.I have a place in Alabama and they have the last 2 weeks as ML for does or bucks. my boys and I headed down last Friday for a few days of ML hunting. I took a 8 pt buck at a ranged distance of 102 yds. I held for the double lung shot. The SW penetrated both rib cages shattering ribs and it left a massive blood trail. The buck went about 25 yds and dropped graveyard dead.I also took a doe at 55 yds with the same results. My sons both took does using the same SW 250. All deer left a good blood trail and they were all recovered. My oldest and I were shooting 50 cal Omegas using 100 gr T7. My other son was shooting TC Diamond XR I believe it iscalled using 100 gr T7. We also killed a yote and it to was graveyard dead. AfterI play with some different combinations thru the summerI may chnage but I certainly can't complain about the 250 SW's performance.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 250 SW performance

Congratulations with the deer hunt.. sounds like you had a great time. I have yet to shoot a deer with a Shockwave, so I will not comment on their ability, but I do appreciate your post. It gives me more confidence with the Shockwaves when I do hunt with them (which I do). My Black Diamond XR with 110 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and a 250 gr Shockwave is deadly. The Black Diamond also does real well shooting black powder.

Again, nice shooting on that buck... I personally consider 100+ yards no matter what rifle or load is a good shot. Way to go...
Old 01-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Shock Waves were designed for long range with the so called "magnum muzzle loaders" as long as you are getting around 2,000 fps @ the muzzle they are supposed to do well, some people who chose to use light loads have had some problems with the opening up to a good mushroom. I use them myself and have taken several animals including boar and deer with the 200 and 250 SW and had excellant results in all ways like you. Lee
Old 01-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

Congratulations on what sounds like a great trip. Glad to hear about the SW's. I was beginning to think they could be used for deer repellent, based on Cayugad's lack of sightings while carrying them. Never have tried them myself.

Pglasgow, if you read this post, any chance of posting ballistcis for 100 gr.T7 and 250 SW? Reports like an efficient combo.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow now thats what I call a good week!

I have had both good and bad results with them. But I am still going to use them because of there accuracy out to 150 yards. I shot 3 deer with them and they droped so close I didn't need a blood trail and 2 of those deer weighed 190 and 230 lbs. So I guess they have enough OOMPH for me.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:27 PM

Glad to hear about the SW's. I like the 300 grain XTP's on deer. You should try them as well. I think I'll try those SW's out this year.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

According to Speer's write up the 300gr Gold Dot Has as good a BC as the SW .I have them on my list to try along with several Rainier Bullets,in the RN flat point.Lee
Old 01-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

I really do not think the BC on the Gold Dots is to far overated either... they really behave real close to the ballistic line... I do not have two chronos to actually check the BC, in fact I have come awful close to sending some to "Big 6x6" in Alabama to check them for me - he does it as a hobby I think...
Old 01-23-2007, 09:51 AM

I agree. I have used these bullets, loaded to the 2,000 fps plus muzzle velocity; gotten some pretty large exit holes. They will shoot clear through a cow elk at 150 yards. Never really noticed the blood trail, as the elk was laying 20 yards from where she was shot.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

According to Speer's write up the 300gr Gold Dot Has as good a BC as the SW .I have them on my list to try along with several Rainier Bullets,in the RN flat point.Lee
I have wondered about the .233 BC of the Speer Gold Dot, and the fact that the other Unicore bullet they make in 300g is .133. I believe that there is a typeo in the BC writeup of the product. The bullet noses of the Unicore and the GDlook identicial to me. The nose of the SW is however very pointed, making it fly a lot more aerodynamic, so I can believe the .233 for the SW. So I question the Speer Gold Dot, even though I like the way they shoot to 50 yards, with my FL ML. I have not tried them in an in-line yet. Chap Gleason Va

Quick Reply: 250 SW performance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.