Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Will Mechanical Solve this problem? >

Will Mechanical Solve this problem?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will Mechanical Solve this problem?

Old 09-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Will Mechanical Solve this problem?

I previously posted about problems I was having when I went from months of practice with 100 grain field points, to the Muzzy 3 blade broadhead. Basically, at 20 yds, I began shooting right by 3-4 inches and at 30 yds, even worse. I really don't understand why it is off so much, but I adjusted my pins to get back on track. Seems to be shooting ok now. However, I want to be able to continue to practice during the season, but it would require that I adjust my pins back to the field point setting, which isn't easy (that's another story).

Anyway, I want to eliminate or minimize the difference between the field points and my hunting broadheads and was told by a friend, the mechanicals are the only way to go given my situation. He said his field points and Rocky Mountain.. mechancials shoot in the same hole. Is his experience pretty typical? Do you have any idea why I am having so much trouble with my Muzzy's (is my experience typical).

If mechanicals are the way to go, which ones are good for small to medium sized deer found in Florida?

thank you
Old 09-22-2002, 04:02 PM

Default RE: Will Mechanical Solve this problem?

Mechanicals usually will shoot the same groups with field tips. Fixed blades on the other hand usually need to be tuned to get them flying with field tips.

Here is one of things I've done to continue shooting field tips while my bow is sighted in for broadheads. First, I zero in my sights with the broadheads. Then I shoot my field tips. If there is any diffence I draw a circle on the target where the field tips are shooting. I then can shoot my field tips at the target and they should be hitting the spot that I drew on the target. That way I can shoot year round with my sights sighted in for broadheads.

If that sounds to complicated, you can always get your bow tuned for the broadheads and you may not have to move your sights. I keep my bow well tuned and I shoot the same groups with field tips and Muzzy 3 blades.

Hunt the thickets
Old 09-22-2002, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go to www.eastonarchery.com (in the download section) and go to the tuning chart.They can show you how to properly tune the bow to shoot the same groups with each.Believe it or not,this is a sign of poorly tuned bow.The only difference should be at long distances(40-50 yards)you may see the broadheads starting to hit a LITTLE low just due to more drag.

Yes a mechanical will most likely hit with the fieldpoints but it isn't best to do that.Penetration and accuracy may suffer.Get the bow tuned and then if the ke is sufficient,try a quality mechanical if you choose but don't choose them for tuning problems.

Edited by - tfox on 09/22/2002 17:16:05
Old 09-22-2002, 04:22 PM

Hi Teal, Your situation sounds very familiar to my own. I got real tired of practicing with field points and then switching to broadheads that not only didnt shoot the same windage as field points, they didnt always match up with drop either. For the past six years I have been using Marden Mini Max two blade heads for hunting and they shoot exactly the same as field points in my MQ1. To date I have shot 23 deer with those broadheads without losing a deer. One was hit in the spine, two in the shoulder blade and the rest were lung shots. They dont penetrate as good as some fixed blades Ive used, but on broadside ribcage shots I get passthroughs just about every time. I feel like getting the same arrow flight enables me to make better shots when hunting too. Last saturday, I shot a doe that was angling towards me. I put the arrow in front of the shoulder in the crease where the shoulder and neck join, and the arrow penetrated about 15". She only ran about 40 yards falling where I could see her from my stand. A muzzy might have gone through on that angle, but the mini max got in deep enough. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2002, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would follow the advice give by TFOX. That said, if your bow is generating at least 55 ft/lbs of energy, any you are able to shoot bullet holes through paper at 3, 8, and 15 feet, mechanicals can be deadly. Keep the heads to 2 or 3 blades, and cutting diameter to no more than 1 1/2" and you should be fine shooting mechanical heads on deer size game.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 09-22-2002, 06:23 PM

I wanted to post a reply here but 5 shot stole my thunder. I would have written it just as he did. If you do make the switch there are several good heads on the market. I've personally been shooting the Rocket line with good success. I sense a trend in the market towards smaller cutting diameters. I still shoot 1 1/2 inch but a lot of the guys I talk to are dropping down to 1 1/4 or so, I guess to offset the penetration issues.......Good Luck...Fletch

KEEP THE WIND IN YOUR FACE.... FLETCH
Old 09-22-2002, 06:36 PM

One more comment tealboy, I have found that the blade style makes a big difference on the ENTRANCE wound. The blades that have a small wing or turnout on the end will cut a bigger hole going in. They will not finish first in the penetration tests (but there not bad either) but as 5 shot stated, 55 or 60 ft lbs. they will passthrough on most hits....Fletch

KEEP THE WIND IN YOUR FACE.... FLETCH
Old 09-22-2002, 06:54 PM

sounds like your bow is out of tuned we all have that from
time to time my bow is 1 inch off right,with muzzy 100
I keep two mech heads with me hunting,
for small game.or for that doe,to test the steelheads out.
if I cant get my fixed head to shot close to one inch
from my field tips,its tuning time.
one inch out at 20 yard is close to 3 at 35.
but i dont shot over 20 yards. I cant stand to lose deer.
I know some guys can shot out to 40 and make clean kills
but.for me i dont wont to be done hunting.so if it
takes my 6 weeks to get that buck. good

good luck
Old 09-22-2002, 08:26 PM

I use spitfire mechanicals. They shoot the same as my field points. My brother and I have used these mechanicals for several years. We have no complaints.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's a tip that will keep you shooting field tips once your broadheads are sighted in.

Once your broadheads are sighted in and if they don't hit exactly where your field points do, shoot a field point into the target while aiming at a mark where your broadheads hit. Now place a dot or mark where your field tip hit if different.

Now all you need to do to stay loose and keep shooting is to aim at the first mark, your arrow should hit the second.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>