Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 My wife may quit hunting...solve my problem!!!!! >

My wife may quit hunting...solve my problem!!!!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My wife may quit hunting...solve my problem!!!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default My wife may quit hunting...solve my problem!!!!!

I fear that if I don't remedy my wife's cold feet problem, it may drive her out of the woods.....so who can help??? Let me know what products work the best....I have a few ideas:

Boot insulators from arctic shield

Footbed (sole) battery powered heaters

Battery powered socks...

Which of the preceding ideas is tried and true in your eyes....open to any suggestions of products!! Thanks!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: My wife may quit hunting...solve my problem!!!!!

I don't have this problem, although Ive heard the warming inserts, or the socks really do work. just make sure they don't run out of batteries!
-Jake
Old 01-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Spike

As a guess...buy Sorrel boots a size or two too large. Have her wear two pair of wool socks, and maybe throw a warming pack or two outside the socks. Maybe have her move, rather than still hunt (assuming you hunt an area where it's appropriate).

Also maybe have her mention it to a doctor the next time she's there. There are circulatory problems that lead to cold feet. Some are treatable and some are a bit of a risk factor.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with all of the suggestions. However, even though these suggestions are good one's and help tremendously, there is still a point ( depending on how cold it is outside, how long you stay out etc., etc.) where your feet are still going to be cold. I guess it just depends on how serious and dedicated you are to staying on stand.If there were an instant cure to keep your feet warm no matter what, we would all be using it!
Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bhunter50

I fear that if I don't remedy my wife's cold feet problem, it may drive her out of the woods.....so who can help??? Let me know what products work the best....I have a few ideas:

Boot insulators from arctic shield

Footbed (sole) battery powered heaters

Battery powered socks...

Which of the preceding ideas is tried and true in your eyes....open to any suggestions of products!! Thanks!
Two things, wool socks, and Don't get the boot laces tight.
Wool holds heat even when wet, use Real Wool, not the cheap kind.
NEVER NEVER NEVER wear cotton socks, they make you get cold when sweaty.
And Don't tighten the laces tight, leave them a little loose.
Tight boots cut off circulation to the foot, making them feel cold.

1000 grams insulited boot too, not 200 grams.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

She's gotta stop wearing those high heels to the stand...

What type boots do you have her wearing now???
Old 01-21-2009, 03:23 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba when temps dip to -15F. Here is what we use. The Icebreaker Boot Blankets look goofy. Carry them into your stand and slip them over your boots with a handwarmer or two inside and see who's laughing. You can sit all day. $40 on sale at Cabelas now. The Mr.Heater Portable Big Buddyis a life saver and can also be found at Cabelas and other places. It is a bit heavy to haul in, but if you do and put it inside of a popup blind, the heat can drive you out.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The boot blankets look very promising.

Wearing boots that are large enough, and not tightening the laces too tight are important suggestions. It is not that tight boots actually restrict circulation of blood, but that they do not allow for an air cushion around the foot. The blankets provide that cushion, but proper boot fit for good socks without compressing the bootinsulationor the loft of thesocks is important.

Women are typically vain about their shoe size, so they may be reluctant to get boots that are right for cold weather. If possible, pick them out with her to make sure they are big enough.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Another inexpensive thing you can try is to have her spray her feet with anti-perspirent. Dry feet are warmer than wet feet.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

When and if you use any of these,batt.socks turn on as soon as you stop moving or they will never catch up.
Boot blankets wear light boots to the stand(they say to do this in the directions)otherwise your feet will sweat
and again they will not recover.Some prefer to take boot off and just use boot blanket and a handwarmer
but the boot sure is cold when you put it back on to leave

Quick Reply: My wife may quit hunting...solve my problem!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.