Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Blacktails in SE Alaska

Old 09-02-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Blacktails in SE Alaska

Anyone ever do the self guided hunt for sitka blacktail's in SoutheastAlaska? From whatI researched you are allowed 4 deer, the hunting gets better Oct & Novwhen the deer come down from the alpines, you can get a blackie tag in case the opportunity arises, fishing is mostly guidedand youstay on a boat. Any idea of how hard it is to locate these deer without prior scouting?Does anyone have a recomendationfor a charter service that offers this? I have found plenty of places on theweb but would like to hear from someone who has done this type of tripbefore. Oh yeah I almost forgot what about the bears? I heard a shot on Kodiak island is like a diner bell to a Kodiak brownie. Is this true?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 07:35 AM

Default RE: Blacktails in SE Alaska

I did a self-guided blacktail hunt back in 2000,out ofSitka. We went around the middle of Sept if I remember correct. Two of three shot respectible bucks (I was the one who didn't). At that time they were still up in the hills/alpine.

Awesome country, saw a decent amount of deer, caught a ton of fish, saw lots of bears. It was my first trip to AK and won't be my last.

I plan on doing it again in a few years, but will do it as a deer/black bear combo this time.

Let me know if you need more info.

Erik
Rusty Axe Camp
Old 09-03-2005, 09:07 PM
DM

Default RE: Blacktails in SE Alaska

Oh yeah I almost forgot what about the bears? I heard a shot on Kodiak island is like a diner bell to a Kodiak brownie. Is this true?
Over the 25 years ihunted in Alaskai shot a LOT of black tails includeing on Kodiak and surrounding islands, i "never" had a bear come to a rifle shot. Not even one time!

I did have a big brownie take a deer out of a tree where i had it hanging for the night though...

I could spend a month here dispelling myths about hunting in Alaska.....

Drilling Man