Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Target selection confusion >

Target selection confusion

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Target selection confusion

Old 06-17-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Target selection confusion

I have always bought those $ 12 Wally World bag targets, and hung them in front of a stack of hay bales. For father's day I got a $60 dollar gift card. I thought it would be a good opportunity to move up to a better quality portable field point target. That would last longer than the cheapy bag targets I have been using. After some research I am more confused than before. What do you all use? Does a good quality durable portable field point target exist in the $60 range?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Target selection confusion

Although it costs $90, the Morrel's outdoor range is a great target. I use the Morrel's Quick Stop and Love it.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the layered foam type, like the Block or Black Hole. They work really well, and seem to last forever unless you get in the habit of shooting broadheads into them. TheBlock targetsat my localindoor range have to have had thousands of arrowsshot into them (no broadheads allowed), and they look almost good as new.

The only thing that sucksis thatif you shoot carbonsout of a fast bowyou might need an arrow puller because the heat generated by the arrow can cause it to melta bit of the foam and the arrow will stick. Once you break the bond the arrow slides out easy.

Mike
Old 06-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Morrel, a black hole ( for broadheads) and a 3-d deer target, and I still need to get a couple more because I need some new stuff to kill. Bobby
Old 06-18-2005, 09:33 AM

Make your own. Save all your grocery shopping bags (reserve one to scoop poop into) and ask your neighbors for theirs (G-bags not poop). Go to your local Golf course and beg the Greenskeeper for all his empty seed bags (they're made ofthe same material as the morrells but lesser in mil thickness) Stuff the seed bags with the grocery bags (do not wad them up) keep stuffing by sliding your hand with a g-bag down the sides and front of the S-bag until you can't fit your hand down the sides anymore. When bag is stuffed slip (try hard) another seed bag over the open end of the stuffed seed bag and seal the new open end with plastic wire ties. VWAHLA! that's french for TADA which is british for CHEAP.

Oh yeah and the target size ends up being about 18" by 30" depending on the seed supplier and type of seed. The bent grass bags are best in my opinion. They last as long as you have seed bags to re-cover the shot up target. Good luck
Old 06-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting the heck out of one of those New Morrel Yellow Jacket Feild Point targets! And I love it! Easy arrow removale, and they claim when it starts to look bad, just get a replacement cover and it will perform like brand new!! Plus it was only $39.99. I like it so much I just ordered the Yellow Jacket Broadhead target!
Old 06-18-2005, 10:04 AM

You may be able to get a 3d deer target for 60$ I think I saw one at wal-mart for 59.99 or 69.99. I shoot 3-ds all the time and some times I shoot a big piece of styrofoam when grouping at long ranges
Old 06-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Morrell make the best targets out there We have 2 of the range bags now for 3 or 4 years and have only had to replace the covers once (about $18 per cover)

They also have the ertinity target bag which is portable and I do believe not that expensive.

If you want a dual purpose target then get the yellow jacket.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:35 PM

Eternity bags can be had for under $30 usually. Pretty darn cheap and last darn near forever. Just remember to turn the target around between shooting sessions and you are golden.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go add a few bucks to my gift card and go with the Morrell Outdoor Range.