Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Target shooting confusion >

Target shooting confusion

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Target shooting confusion

Old 01-23-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Target shooting confusion

Maybe someone can help me with this. Over the weekend I went to the local range. At first I was shooting decent, but slowly started to suck. After getting pretty frustrated I decided to just walk the 3d range and shoot every 5 min or so. My shooting got better right away. I guess my question is why would I be doing so bad on regular targets but do pretty well on a 3d range in more of a hunting situation. The only thing I could come up with is this, On the regular target I shoot a lot more perhaps making my arms tired. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Target shooting confusion

You mentioned to went to shooting every five minutes. - It's all about concerntration. Even Byron Ferguson admits that he can only concentrate on 3 consecutive arrows without taking a break. Walsh says one arrow.

And yes if you were shootinga lot more on yourtargets as in your last sentence of course your physical (aswell as mental) stamina is going to suffer. It's a lot different then shooting a compound.

Good question.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:13 PM

I shoot 3-D much better than a plain target face..... IMO it's all about the concentration like Bob said... Even with a compound I never was good at just pounding away at a dot...
Old 01-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another deal that goes hand in hand with losing concentration is your muscles get tired. I'm the world's worst at going brain dead while standing in front of a target and just machinegunning a quiver full of arrows downrange. I really have to force myself to slow down and take it easy.

Give yourself at least 30-45 seconds between each arrow. A full minute is even better.You'll be able to shoot much better for a lot longer.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

I donno why, but I've noticed that some ppl seem to do better on a static target/distance,others do their best work while stump shooting, roving, or at 3D shoots, & still others really shine at bowhunting.It's all archery, but each discipline is quite a bit different & it's a rare individual who excells at all of it. Maybe ppl just tend to do betteron the type shooting they enjoy most?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:25 PM

I noticed that you guys said slow shooting was best but yet I can't shoot that acurate with taking that long in between arrows. I can shoot better then if I shoot one every 10-20 sec. but still what weird is that I can shoot four arrowswith5-7 sec in between each shot and I can get them within 4-5 inches of each other. vs Normal 10-20 sec shooting I can get 4 arrows in a 10" radius. If I take a minute in between each shot I can get them within a 5-7" radius. I don't know figure it out. Any hints???

Nick
Old 01-24-2006, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can shoot better then if I shoot one every 10-20 sec. but still what weird is that I can shoot four arrowswith5-7 sec in between each shot and I can get them within 4-5 inches of each other. vs Normal 10-20 sec shooting I can get 4 arrows in a 10" radius. If I take a minute in between each shot I can get them within a 5-7" radius. I don't know figure it out. Any hints???

I'd have to say muscle/brain memory.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:00 AM

I am the same way, on target I shoot ok to bad, but put me in the woods and now leaf, tree, or pop can are safe.

As for 3d I do the same thing. I think it is just because I just shoot. I dont think about anything but the target, thoughts of fourm and draw just melt away.

I have to say that the can is one of the best targets on the market,the way they shoot up into the air when ya hit them is so cool.I like coke cans best but will shoot anything, that is except PBR, I dont want to get any of that stuf on my arrows.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Good post. I've been shooting taditional since before it was called traditional and at 3D shoots some people have real problems and it is because of all the things mentioned. My son can go into the woods with me and shoot arrow for arrow at unknown distances with me but for the first 15 yrs. of his life he couldn't shoot over 175 at a 3D shoot. We both shoot moderate to heavy bows (75-80#) and the muscles and brain get tired together. Now we both average in the 240's shooting from the compound hunter stakes. I believe it's because he's finally turned the corner in telling himself that it's just a stump that looks like a deer. He went 10 yrs. before taking his first deer and that was with a longbow. He's averaged two per year since. I believe it's 95% mental.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:28 AM

I agree with longbowman about the mental aspect....... I shoot my best when I just forget about form and let them rip...... Next thing I know I hitting my 4 inch spot at 20yds every time!!! However, it doesn't take long for my mind to wonder back to my bow arm, my arrow, or my release and I start getting flyers........ It's very hard for me to stay in that calm, relaxed shooting mode.....

Quick Reply: Target shooting confusion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.