Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

BINO CONFUSION!!

Old 12-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default BINO CONFUSION!!

I have been looking to purchase a pair of Binoculars. I was considering a pair of Bushnell Trophys 10x42! Has anybody purchased a pair or even looked through a pair I can't find them anywhere. Any in sight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BINO CONFUSION!!

http://www.natchezss.com/ in that price range i also like the nikon- monarchs
Old 12-19-2005, 08:48 AM

How much are you looking to spend?

As you probably know, there's no upward limit on what you can spend on a pair of binoculars--and virtually no downward limit, either.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Well I like the Monarchs! However I have looked through less and hardly noticed a difference. I am wonderingif the Bushnell Trophys stack up? Their is a huge price difference. Am i paying for the name whenI purchase the Monarchs!
Old 12-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

I havethe 10x42 Bushnell Trophy. They are a good glass for the money. Mine have proven to be rugged and dependable. I have used them while hunting eastern whitetails, as well as mule deer, elk, and pronghorn in Wyoming. After extended periods of long range glassing I have experienced some eyestrain that has resulted in headaches.

Ihad the opportunity this past fall to compare several brands ofbinos while hunting in NW Wyoming. We spent several hours observing a very large forkhorn that wasapproximately 1000 yards away. I'm pretty sure about the distance because Iused my laser range finder toget a reading of 840 yardson a large juniper bush that was below him on the hillside between us. While we were observing himfour of usplayed pass the binos. The binos present included myBushnell, another pair of Bushnell Legacy Poro Prismsin 10x50, a pair of Tasco(not sure of model)10x50, and a pair of Wind River12x50 Olympics.The unanimous agreement was that the Wind Rivers were the sharpest, followed bymy Bushnell Trophy, and that it was almost impossible to tell the Legacy and the Tasco apart. Not surprisingly we found the quality of the individual optics paralleled their price. The WindRivers retail for around $400, the Trophys around$250, and the other twowere each about $125.

If you are looking for something around $300 I wouldcheck out the Nikon Monarch 10x42 ATB, if that is more than you want to spend then the Bushnell Trophy is a good glass in the $250-$200 range.

Having said all of that, after years of wanting a pair I finally broke down a few weeks ago and shelled out for a pair of the Swarovski New SLCs in 10x42. The optical clarity and lighttransmissionaresimply breathtaking. I guess the moral here is you get what you pay for. We all have to decide what we can afford and if the benefit warrants the expenditure.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great advice so far. I have only looked through the Trophys briefly but if you are stuck with the $200 price range an under then why not check out the Bushnell Excursions as well. Though not up to the optical quality of the Monarchs or Bushnell Legends I still think they offered a darn good view (especially wide) for the price. Throw in the fact that they are nitrogen purged, waterproof and phase-coated (the Trophys aren't) and you have one nice little package.

I would personally choose the Monarchs as I believe they offer the best performance optically and somewhat ergonomically in that price range. As was mentioned, with bins you tend to generally get what you pay for.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

In my family of hunters, we've got binos by Swarovski, Steiner, and Leopold, with the usualmix of Bushnells and other junk thrownin. As others have said, you get almost exactly what you pay for. There are no secrets or hidden bargains in the binocular world that I'm aware of.

If you sit a treestand in a woodlot in the midwest or east, with 100 yard sightlines, a $200 pair of binos may be fine. If, on the other hand, you're out west chasing muleys and antelope, those same $200 binos are probably going to hold you back.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:01 AM

Don't forfet to check out the Sightron Sii series