Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

elk bows

Old 01-01-2005, 09:45 PM

Default elk bows

am in need of a good elk bow from 50 too a hundred yards any help
Old 01-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elk bows

50-100 yards. Every elk I have killed has been within 20 yards. Very seldom will you shoot over that on elk. When bowhunting and calling elk in all the shots that are presented are very close. There is no need to shoot those distances. I am SURE that all the elk hunters on here would agree. A 40 yard shot on an elk would be doable but highly unlikely as they are looking for you and will appear right in your lap.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:05 PM

oh am looking for a bow the hunting advice i take dear to heart am looking for my current hunting sit what size bow would do and am not calling yet am just fnding the critters lol
Old 01-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is a whole lot of things that go into picking the right bow for any one person. Such as...... How old are you? How much weight can you pull back? How tall are you? Compound, recurve, long bow? So on and so on.

A 50 yard shot on any animal from a bow is a long shot. Shots over 50 yards on live animals is just irresponsible IMO. Leave those shots for the rifles.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Without capital letters and some punctuation I can't even figure out what the second post is. That being said, only a fool would consider shooting any critter at 100 yards with stick and string. That's what rifles are for. Bows are close range weapons. Do some serious ethical thinking before shooting that far. 50 yards may be the longest to shoot, but that in the hands of a very good shooter who knows what he's doing.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:14 PM

Are you talking cross bow here or something? up to 100 yards c'mon
Old 01-07-2005, 10:55 AM

I don't know who you are kidding shooting up to 100 yards on a 1,000+ pound elk. You must not be very experienced in the archery world, or just plain dumb, unethical, and irresponsible. You better not let me catch you shooting that far to just graze or wound a magnificant animal. The thing with archery is a clean accurate kill. Do you know how much a slight breeze can affect an arrow traveling 100 yards, it can turn a perfect heart shot into a gut or ass shot. You better think before you shoot.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys, simmer down. I think he is a young kid that is coming here cause he has never been hunting with archery equipment and probably never even shot a bow.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Waterfx, Since you have already gotten the heat from the other guys, lets see if we can really help you. First get over the speed thing, you will need to learn to shoot a bow well first, stay moderate. You want a bow with axle to axle length of 37" up to 41". And a brace height around 7". I would hope you can handle some poundage, in my opinion 60lbs is a little light for elk, 70 is better. I also prefer heavier arrows than a lot of guys around, I am shooting 490grs of arrow weight. And a Muzzy or Thunderhead broadhead would be a good choice. As for shooting long distances, I can. I practice at 80yds, but that is to work on my form only. To shoot at an elk over 40yds is not fair to the elk. The arrow is in the air to long and bad things can happen. If you really want to be an archery hunter, great, but please do it right.
Gselkhunter