Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 where can the bows go next ? >

where can the bows go next ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

where can the bows go next ?

Old 03-30-2006, 06:03 PM

Default where can the bows go next ?

Ok so just for fun i took out my old PSE the other day and took it to my local bow shop to show some of the younger guys what i had to start with.This PSE i got way back in 86 i am now 34 and still love archery.Anyway we where compairing my old PSE to my new Tribute it is wild to see how much has changed in the last 20 years.The question we all statred asking is whats next.We have short aTa bows long aTa bows bows that only weigh 5 lbs all set up we have so many different kinds of cams i can't even name them all,split limbs,solid limbs,tons of different kinds of strings and arrows.

So what's next what can they do to make these great bows even better? Any one have any idea's or things you would like to see improved
Old 03-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: where can the bows go next ?

I ask the same question sometimes. I am almost 50 and I remember the early 70s when the compound first hit the market........ wow, they have come a long, long way! It is amazing and I often wonder myself, what is next? Not sure we can change it much more. Or can we?[8D]
Old 03-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wish i could find my post about this
will edit when i find it

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1416294&mpage=1&key=&#141629 4 here it is
Old 03-30-2006, 07:58 PM

Technology today is amazing, before long 400 fps will be the new speed that every is going crazy over. I would like to see some bows come out that are less expensive from the good name brand companies, like hoyt, mathews, and bowtech. There isnt much to change really.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OhioHunter222

Technology today is amazing, before long 400 fps will be the new speed that every is going crazy over. I would like to see some bows come out that are less expensive from the good name brand companies, like hoyt, mathews, and bowtech. There isnt much to change really.
Well I got ahold of a Mathews Ultra Max several years back. Not sure I ever chrono'ed it. Doesnt matter, 400, 300 or 200, as long as it keeps killing deer and holds together, that is what old Jeff is gonna use! [8D]
Old 03-30-2006, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: JLmoore1956
Well I got ahold of a Mathews Ultra Max several years back. Not sure I ever chrono'ed it. Doesnt matter, 400, 300 or 200, as long as it keeps killing deer and holds together, that is what old Jeff is gonna use! [8D]
i agree my current bow only shoots 170.8 but if it kills a deer than im fine with it.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OhioHunter222

ORIGINAL: JLmoore1956
i agree my current bow only shoots 170.8 but if it kills a deer than im fine with it.
Well, with that bow and a Muzzy 100 grain I almost put it through the spine completely and no breaks on the blade, so no need to change! [8D]
Old 03-31-2006, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just for fun I calculated the maximum possible speed for 70# peak, 30" draw, 8" brace. If the bow is 100% efficient, which of course is not achievable,it would propela 350arrow at 390.3 ft/sec and a 600 grain arrow at 298.1 ft/sec. Wow, given how far the technology has come in the last 20 years, I wonder how close we'll come to these numbers in the next 20 years.

Now if someone could come up with a 250 grainarrow that didn't loose it's initial velocity and the bow could handle itand I use the same conditions above I get 461.8 ft/sec. Now you're talkin!
Old 03-31-2006, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think we will start to see a time period when bow designs will again come back together to be more similar. Whether it is the limb design, riser geometry, cam design, etc.. I think for a time that almost all of the companies will have extremely similar models. That will last for a brief time before someone comes out with something truly revolutionary and we will again have the diversity that we have now.

I am also sure that newer materials will also make bow designs more durable and more efficient.

And lastly, ofcourse, prices will continue to increase.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is only so much speed that is available, given the current "restriction" of 5 gr/lb, a 400 fps bow is not possible. As stated above (I'd love to see how you calculated it, but it matches what I have seen elsewhere), it is against the laws of physics, UNLESS some new technology comes along that actually creates energy during the shot. Even with a 0% letoff bow, which climbs to max poundage very quick and stays there, it MIGHT be doable, but would be unshootable. You would need to get ALL friction out of the system: calbe slide, axles, string against cam grooves etc. It would be 100% dead quiet, no vibration/shock.

things I think you will see:
- I predicted something to quiet them down a couple years ago, poof, parallel limbs have done a good deal of this.
- riser design/construction to make the bow stronger and cheaper to remove any and all bend during the shot.
- Limb materials/design
- cam design to get the speed with a smoother draw curve

I would LOVEto see the price come down, this will take manufacturing technology, not bow technology. Or maybe materials/plastics technology.

We will see advancements in aerodynamics make BH flight easier (heading this way already), new arrow materials, for cheaper more durable arrows without the drawbacks of carbon/aluminum.

Quick Reply: where can the bows go next ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.