Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rocket steel heads?

Old 12-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rocket steel heads?

I got some rocket steel heads the other day. These are the first mechanicals 'v had & was wondering what you guys had to say about them?
Old 12-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rocket steel heads?

HA..... not much you can say, only THE best dang deloyable blade aerohead system out there! The Steelheads are absolutely awesome and I doubt very much that you'll find anyone who says different! Great choice!
Old 12-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Steel heads are suppose to be one of the better mechanicals out there.

Having said that, with the large number of excelent fixed blade heads out there today I see no reason to use any mechanical broadhead. There are just too many fixed blade heads that fly every bit as good or better than any mechanical and you don't have that nagging question in the back of your mind..."is it going to work this time?"
Old 12-11-2004, 11:00 AM

very nice head but for me the blades do not hold up well with bones or ribs for that matter..... other then that they are a great head.. for whats it worth this broadhead will be in my quiver for a long time
Old 12-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Been using them for years and love 'em! They fly great and have excellent penetration.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

I am also a firm believer in fixed blade heads such as the Wasp Hammer SST. (my personal favorite) but tried teh Steelhead 100 this year with great results. The head works excellent and IMHO gets super penetration.

You can do a whole lot worse. Good luck, good shooting!
Old 12-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys.
I'v always used Thunder head 100's & really dont see a need to change. However I'm a curious guy & alot of guys love the mech's so when I saw these on sale for $14 I ordered 2 sets. They only had one left but 3's enuff anyway.

Is there no need to shoot a few to be sure they really fly like my field points?
I'd like to put one in my quiver for now but feel the need to see where it will shoot. Thing is they dont look like they can take much practce use.
With the thunderheads I have a couple with dulled blades I use to check every once in awhile. Should I dedicate one of the Rockets as a practice point?
Old 12-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

If it makes you feel more comfortable, shoot one. But, I don't believe you would have to.