Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rocket Ultimate Steel????? >

Rocket Ultimate Steel?????

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rocket Ultimate Steel?????

Old 07-21-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Rocket Ultimate Steel?????

For years I have been happy with the performance of 100 gr. thunderheads and muzzys in a well-tuned bow . However, now I have switched to a much faster set up (~280 fps). Thunderheads flew horrible and inconsistent. The muzzys flew more consistent, but still a lot different than my field points. So I am thinking for trying something else.

Does anyone have any experience using the Ultimate Steel broadheads by Rocket? I know the previous broadhead design (silver ferrule) had issues with losing blades; however, I have heard the rocket has addressed this issue with the new design (black ferrule). Any other non-mechanical broadhead designs?
Old 07-21-2004, 12:36 PM

Default RE: Rocket Ultimate Steel?????

I never had the blade loss problem with my 75 grners. They are IMO a nice little head

But I think the new NAP Nitron is a better mouse trap.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

I tested these broadheads on a piece of 1/2 plywood at 10 yards, 70lbs 400gr arrow, 28 in draw. They performed ok, they penetrated well but not as good as the muzzy's, the blades had a little wave too them after a couple shots, the reveiws on this head are good anywhere you look, test them yourself and draw your conclusion
Old 07-22-2004, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the money I feel there are much better heads that have all the advantages on none of the problems. The NAP Nitron comes to mind along with the new Sonic broadheads.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:50 AM

You will find at those higher speeds the smaller size ones are a bit easier to tune. I have some of those ultimates from last year and yes the blades do come lose. Also a two blade broadhead is easier to tune at those speeds. Land sharkes and magnus stingers come to mind.

magnus stinger being easier to deal with than the land shark. The land shark bleeder blades don't attach to my likeing. that was dissapointing but it shoots well without the bleeder blades. The magnus stinger has smaller bleeders and they are attached from the factory. I liked that head. Hope Jeff leaves one lying around so it can find it's way onto one of my arrows.