Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

broadheads

Old 07-06-2002, 11:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default broadheads

I was just on the bowjackson site and saw the razorring broadheads. Do these things really penetrate enough to do the necessary internal damage? If they did, WOW what a blood trail one would get. Seems like they would loose energy very fast especially if they hit bone. Any one elsy seen or used these, just curious?
Old 07-07-2002, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: broadheads

Browning came out with a broadhead based on the same concept back in the early '70's. It was supposed to cut a big plug out of the target. Penetration was poor. Hard bone,(leg, spine, shoulder) presented a problem. This looks like the same idea, recycled. "Those who ignor history are doomed to repeat it".
Old 07-07-2002, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I could be wrong, but based on my broadhead testing the idea lookes like it has plenty of problems, penitration comes to mind. Wingbone pretty muched summed up my thoughts on it.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 07-07-2002, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I toyed around with the 'Razorring' last year. I would be the first to admit that my experience with the head is not what I would consider extensive so take that into consideration when reading this critique.

In my unprofessional opinion I don't feel the components that make up this head are the best they could be. Further, I believe the quality control on tolerances should be tightened up. I say this because I couldn't get the heads to spin true on my spin tester. There was always a slight wobble (yes the inserts were in place properly). Also when I shot the head into 3/4" plywood the tip broke off although I was somewhat surprised at the penetration considering the resistance that the head has to overcome due to the "cookie cutter" ring. In addition I feel like the head could be a lot sharper especially the edge on the ring. Of course instructions show you how to sharpen the ring but it is not easy to get a consistent edge on a circle.

I did end up taking a young 140 pound buck with the 100 grain head. The bow I was using for this hunt was producing a moderate 60 pounds of kinetic energy so judge the results for yourself. The shot was almost broadside at approximately 15 yards. The impact of the arrow was as well placed as any I have ever shot. I couldn't have walked up and stabbed him with a knife and hit a better spot. The arrow took out one lung and the top of the heart but never made it to the far side of the ribcage. The buck ran about 75 yards and expired. I found my arrow laying about 50 feet from the dead buck it had obviously fallen out of the entrance wound. The blood trail was ok but not spectacular. In reviewing my journal I used the word "adequate" to describe it.

In the final analysis I would have to say that this head penetrated worse than any mechanical head I have used including those with a two inch cut. I'm afraid I would have to give it poor marks in the performance catagory.

Old 07-07-2002, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's pretty much what I figured. Just kind of curious. Thanks.