Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Buying a Bow looking for opinions >

Buying a Bow looking for opinions

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Buying a Bow looking for opinions

Old 11-30-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Buying a Bow looking for opinions

Ok I know this will draw all sorts of opinions and that is why I am throwing it out there..

I am looking to buy a new bow for deer hunting. I am looking to upgrade from my current antique setup. I currently shoot a Bear Black Panther 30 inch draw at 63 pounds with Easton Aluminum 2117's. I shoot fingers. I know I will be switching to carbon arrows. I have dabbled in and out with shooting over the last few years due to a shoulder injury that until recently, drawing the bow aggrivated after 2 or 3 days of shooting. The shoulder has come full circle and is ready to start shooting. I am looking to be up and running at full steam by next fall. The old Bear has one more trip in it in January as I don't want to rush getting a new bow setup with the holidays and all prior to that trip. I am thinking of going down in poundage to around 50, so I can pull and shoot comfortable from a sitting position without potentially reaggravating the shoulder. I don't want to break the bank either. All of your valued opinions

I realize I will be trying a few at various shops but I am looking for suggestions to narrow my choices.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:32 AM

Default RE: Buying a Bow looking for opinions

By your name it seems like you are from NH. Many manufacturers out there make just about any bow you can imagine. I think starting with a reputable bow shop is the first starting point. I had a similar problem last year with my setup and went to many of the shops in central and southern NH. I found one in Canterbury NH named Gmac Archery where the owner and operator, Bill really treats you like family. He does not rush you into anything and lets you shoot anything you want. He currently carries the Martin line and they really make a nice bow. As you know, 50 pounds of pull is very adequate for most medium sized game hunting. I have shopped all around and this place is absolutely very much cheaper in price, not quality, then anywhere I have been. This includes bows, accessories, everything. He also has a 3-d course. The biggest thing I can recommend is shoot the bows within your pull range and feel what is right for you. Good luck

Terry
Old 12-01-2004, 08:34 PM

I'm currently in a similar position. The last bow I purchased was about 8 to 10 years ago.
That company went out of business. Just food for thought...I will be buying my next bow after the holidays. I am looking at and will be concentrating on a company that I'm pretty confident will be around. The pro shop is also key.
good luck,
Bear
Old 12-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

I feel you can't go wrong with Martin bows. Been shooting them for years w/o problems. My current model "jaguar" is fantastic.Taz
Old 12-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the new CP Oneida Black Eagle. From a fellow Oneida shooter, this is his statement about the Black Eagle.

Probably the biggest advantage is the smooth draw. If you have ever drawn the newer wheelie bows, a lot of them have a very short valley, i.e. when you draw the weight ramps and lets-off real fast, the Oneida's have a longer valley, that allows you to easily pull through to the "wall", without the harsh drop off. I have shot a few wheely bows, and have yet to find one as easy to draw as the Oneida. They are fast, depending on your definition of fast! There are a few guys on here that can "super charge" 'em and can get very high speeds at low poundage and huge let-off (95% or better). You will be hard press to find another bow capable of doing what those Oneida's are doin'. My BE is stock, and is shooting a 5 grain / pound at just shy of 280 fps. But I also have a short draw length, and that drops my speed a little bit.
Another big advantage-- EASY to work on! No more goin' to the bow shop to have the bow put in a bowpress to adjust timing, or put on a new string. If you can turn a wrench, you can work on an Oneida! (BTW, never let anybody put your Oneida in a regular bowpress! ) I have been shooting an Oneida since Feb of this year, and I could not believe how easy it is to change cables or a string or limbs for that matter (upgraded mine to ESC limbs a couple of weeks ago.)

The forum here is also a huge benefit! Everyone on here is very helpful, and it is very much like a family! You have to watch out for mikieday and jeffpahunter though, they can be quite mischievous! There is a ton of info that can be gleaned from these guys, so ask as many questions as you can. Try to find a group like this at the wheely bow sites!

Disadvantages-- I wish there were more Oneida shooters at the archery shop I shoot for! I wish they were an Oneida dealer too! Actually as far as the bow goes, I don't feel there are any disadvantages to it!

One last thing, these bows are long enough to actually be shot fingers. If holding the full weight of the recurve was given you trouble with the arthritis, you might actually still be able to shoot fingers with let-off. Either way, just shooting these bows is a blast! There is just somethin' about 'em that is intriguing!
Also available in camo.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:57 PM

check out bowtechs.i just got one and i love it....smooth,fast and quiet
there is a guy on e-bay i got mine from brand new w/ warrenty card and everything
this guy has awsome prices to
his e-bay name is bsboutdoors
great guy

otto