Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 buying new varmit rifle, need opinions >

buying new varmit rifle, need opinions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

buying new varmit rifle, need opinions

Old 12-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default buying new varmit rifle, need opinions

I am looking for a new varmit rifle.. I was thinking 22.250 for the caliber, maybe 223 though... I want something nice and I want something with some character..
Was looking at the Howa Varmiter with thumbhole stock or maybe the AR-15 Varmiter by Bushmaster..

Any body have experience with either of these?
Any other good ideas for something with a pistol grip or thumbhole stock?
Old 12-25-2006, 04:19 PM

Default RE: buying new varmit rifle, need opinions

Hello demo. What will you be hunting and at what ranges? Regards, Rick.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be shooting coyotesat first up to a couple hundred yards.. When I start to hunt out west I will be doing some P-Doggin with em...

While cost is somewhat of an issue I've never been known to take the "cheapest" route, lol... I like my Browning Shotguns and Kimber Riflesif it helps at all...

I really just want something fun and something that looks really neat.. Most of my guns are big thumpers. I want something accurate but really want it to look different than the rest of my rifles, hence the AR thought or the thumbhole - vented stock.. Already have some Talley Rings (no bases till I know what rifle) and I have an Elite 4200 6-24 mil dot scope.. Also much different than most my standard cross haired Leupolds... LOL

Just looking for some help from the "Varmit" guys out there.. I've never though of Howa as my type of rifle but with the thumbhole stock it really does look different and I can't seem to find a Remington or Wby that has that type of stock...
Old 12-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The thumb hole Encore's are really nice. I hunted with one this year, and I really liked it. Tom.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Encore Pistol on the way but not would like something with at least four shots. I.E. Bolt action with magazine..

I found two more if anyone knows anything about them.. Browning A Bolt M-1000 Eclipse in 22-250.
And one that I can't seem to find any info on.. Remington 700 Varmint SF Thumbhole "Special Run" in 22-250...

Old 12-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

With all the after market products out there if I was you I would find what I like and if you need a thumbhole stock buy one. As far as the howa goes it is a good rifle I have a 6.5X284 that I had made for me using that action. But for a varmit rifle I like the ruger MKII target models. I have that in a .220 swift and have had in a .22-250 after some playing with reloads it shoots great.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:59 AM

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

With all the after market products out there if I was you I would find what I like and if you need a thumbhole stock buy one. As far as the howa goes it is a good rifle I have a 6.5X284 that I had made for me using that action. But for a varmit rifle I like the ruger MKII target models. I have that in a .220 swift and have had in a .22-250 after some playing with reloads it shoots great.
HOWA, IMHO, is one of the best actions on the market, I have had several HOWA 1500's and they were all damn good rifles.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: demoIL

I will be shooting coyotesat first up to a couple hundred yards.. When I start to hunt out west I will be doing some P-Doggin with em...
If P-Dogs is on the itenirary then you don't want a 22-250 IMHO. A 250 gets too hot too quickly. I would suggest the 223 rem. It has plenty of range, burns less powder, and heats the barrel less. You can buy bulk ammo cheaply as well. Its a much better choice for a PD gun.