Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

fixed broadheads

Old 08-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fixed broadheads

These things get to be dumb. You can get almost any broadhead to fly like fieldpoints if you spend the time to tune them that way. And they don't always have to be the same weight as your fieldpoints to do this. Broadheads, being a little longer can change your FOC just a tad, so you might have to shoot a slightly lighter head to achieve the results you want. And then there is the act of PERFECTING the bow's tune. Me??? I guess I'm just lucky. I never have any problem getting them to both fly well and hit the same POI. But I spend hours and hours tuning my bow to perfection. It's a summer-long endeavor. Like almost every time I practice with my bow I'm tinkering to make it better.

So far this year I've had eight different drop-aways on my bow. Last week finally scrapped them all and put a Star Hunter back on. It's what works. And then there is always the process of tuning the "nut behind the bow".
Old 08-16-2004, 04:24 PM

Default RE: fixed broadheads

let me tell u this. if u shot a BULL elk and killed it with a mech...u have nothing to worry about. they will tear a deer up. if u want a great fixed head...MUZZY is the ticket. all of them will kill, but muzzy has what it takes to make a bad shot good. huge entrance holes..exits the same and most shots are pass throughs.