Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 mechanical or fixed broadheads? >

mechanical or fixed broadheads?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

mechanical or fixed broadheads?

Old 11-14-2006, 11:33 AM

Default mechanical or fixed broadheads?

do the mechanical broadheads shoot just like practise points as they claim, and if so are they just as good as fixed broadheads?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 AM

Default RE: mechanical or fixed broadheads?

I shoot have always shot fixed. I simply don't trust mechanicals. Lots of people use them and not had any problems I guess.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either will shoot like field points if they are: A--aligned properly with a good, straight, properly spinedshaft, and B--the arrow/bow combination is tuned properly.

There is nothing magical about mechanical heads.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

there arre lots of threads on this.

fact is anything not a field tip doesnt shoot like a field tip. the smaller more field tip like it is the better its flight will be. there are a lot of mechanical heads out there that are just way to big when closed and dont shoot much better then fixed heads. i use steelheads and can put them exactly where my field tips hit. ive shot sonic heads and they hit the same too but they didnt shoot well in a mild breeze. there is no way to get around it anything sticking out creates drag and restiance and turbulance. lots of people like fixed heads and if you get them to shoot straight and are confident why not. a well designed mechnical will always out fly a fixed head but it may not show up until you get out to distances that youd never shoot. also with fixed heads if your form is not perfect (like when that monster gets you shook up) it affects the flight drastically.

i can see why some are skeptical, just like fixed heads there are plenty of bad mechnicals out there. with my steelheads i havent missed or not gotten a deer in at least 5 years and thats all i need to keep me using them.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on what you shoot. I would go fix for big animals like elk, bear or moose.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Spike

I shoot fixed and always will shoot fixed blades. Just my preference!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:56 PM

i really like the fixed broadheads, but i really dont want to have to keep re-tunning my bow when i want to hunt, then tune it again when i want to practise.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

if you shoot fixed heads you should bother to practice with field tips anytime near hunting season. that my other gripe of why most guys should use mechnicals is alot of guys dont bother to or dont know they need to tune fixed heads. if youve got the time and do it right then keep shooting them but if your not able to tune them up no be foolish and throw them on before you go out.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:21 PM

fixed for sure.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:40 PM

fixed .got plenty of other moving parts to break

Quick Reply: mechanical or fixed broadheads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.