Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

SVL vanes

Old 07-28-2004, 08:11 PM

Default SVL vanes

anyone use the SVL stealth fleatch vanes? Are they wotrth the money and do they hold up? I just noticed them in cabelas and they look sweet.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:33 AM

Default RE: SVL vanes

Some one needs to spend the money cuase I am also itching to try them. But the cost and will they hold up.....
Old 07-29-2004, 05:56 AM
Spike

I used them for a little bit just to test them out. What I found is that they are really not that durable. It seemed as though after about 10-12 shots with the same arrow, the fletching would get wavy - definitely not a good sign. I also had my regularly fletched arrow (stock carbon express vanes) and an SVL fletched arrow in a bit of an unscientific contest. I had my wife sit about 10 feet out of the way and halfway between me and the target just to see if she could hear any difference in the noise of the arrow as it passed. She indicated that there was no major difference. Since there was no major difference that could be heard and they weren't holding up as I thought they should, I have stopped using them and started using the NAP QuikSpins. I've heard mixed reviews on these also, but I have only been shooting them at 20-25 yards and they have been working extremely well for me.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had my wife sit about 10 feet out of the way and halfway between me and the target just to see if she could hear any difference in the noise of the arrow as it passed.

All I can say is wow!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 10:01 AM

i was thinking the same thing...gives me the heebie-geebies...
Old 07-29-2004, 10:58 AM
c j
Typical Buck

selectarchery, how do the Quickspin vanes do, noise-wise? Aren't they louder than the others?
Old 07-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Spike

Perhaps I had better clarify. Essentially, my wife was back a safe distance away from the arrow flight path - well back and away from any harm. There is no way she is going to put herself near enough to get hurt, nor would I even think about that. Ten feet isn't an accurate distance statement, but I want you to be able to visualize that she, myself, and the target had a sort of triangluar configuration to listen for noise. Secondly, it does seem as though the NAP's are a bit more noisy than other vanes out there. I'm kind of at a loss here, I want the accuracy of the NAP's during hunting season, but I really don't know about the noise factor. I don't know if they are really much noiser than some helically fletched arrows I have heard, though. My father-in-law uses helically fletched vanes on Easton A/C/C's and one time while practicing there was some real noise being given off by his arrows.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Spike

Tell you what. I am going to fletch three arrows with SVL vanes and I'll use three with QuikSpin vanes. I am going to use CX200 arrows cut to 27" with 85 grain points. I will be using a Carbon Six Shooter Target for the testing set at 20 yards. I'll do a test to see about grouping and noise. Totally unscientific, but will be repeated a number of times to ensure as much accuracy as I can. Here is the rest of the setup that I am using:
Pearson Dagger 28" 70#
Trophy Ridge Drop Zone Hunter
Trophy Ridge Flatliner
Hindsight II
Copper John Eagle 4 Finger Release
The bow doesn't make a peep when shooting, so I should be able to hear the arrows (though this bow is fast so I won't have much time to hear them). I'll let you guys know what I find out.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Spike

The results are in!!! I was only able to shoot 6 rounds with these arrows due to a problem with the SVL vanes. They began to wrinkle and essentially fall apart on the arrows. I switched from using the Carbon Six Shooter to a McKenzie bedded doe target halfway through to see if there were any penetration issues with one vane or the other. Here are the findings that my experience showed:
Arrows fletched with both vanes grouped well (I seriously attribute this to my Dagger, as when I had my Mathews FX, this wasn't the same case)
Both arrows penetrated the same
The noise difference to me was truly minimal.
The NAP's clearly held up better as there were times when one NAP fletched arrow would scrape the other on impact and the vanes were okay.
The SVL vanes fell apart after only 6 rounds. One arrow needs to be refletched totally, as all three vanes are wrinkled and in bad shape. The others have two that are wrinkled and in bad shape. These have a lower clearance than the NAP's, so they are not coming into contact with anything.
The NAP vanes stick better and are cut more consistently than the SVL (seems the length on the SVL's varied minimally)
Overall, I am going to stick to the NAP QuikSpins, as this test affirmed my belief in these vanes being superior to the SVL vanes. Though some may believe these to be a bit more noisy, the noise was minimal to me. I'd like others to perform tests with other vanes to so that we can see what they come up with.