Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Turbo Nocks, anyone?

Old 07-19-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Turbo Nocks, anyone?

Purchased them at the outdoor show last winter and finally tried one today. My arrow shot well below the target (twice), which tells me they are actually slower than my 5 inch feathers. Anybody else use them?
Old 07-19-2004, 06:37 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turbo Nocks, anyone?

I'm curious about their performance, too. I was thinking about trying either turbo nocks or FOBs, but I didn't want to buy them and tear off good fletching to try them if they don't have any noticeable benefits.

Has anyone tried FOBs or Turbo Nocks? Is there any difference between them and conventional feathers/vanes as far as noise? Accuracy? Speed?
Old 07-21-2004, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

cj, from my experience with them (turbo nocks), they are extremely noisy, are heavy, will through off FOC, and have questionable accuracy with fixed broadheads. I used them for a few weeks and went back to feathers and vanes.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:16 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Thank you, BobCo19-65. I appreciate the help.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:13 AM

I've tried FOBs now for several weeks and like the results. They definately stabilize the arrow quicker than any vanes that I have had. While shooting 50 yd shots I kept hitting a tall weed about 7 yards from the target (until I yanked the thing). I watched several arrows kick their back end out when hitting the weed but stabilize and hit where I intended within the final 7 yards. All in all, my point of contact actually did move up just slightly, which I am attributing to a slightly lower weight compared to vanes. All in all, they brought my broadhead contact very close to my point contact location with no site or bow tuning. Two potential downsides. First, you have to use the FOBs with a drop away rest that gets out of the way quickly. They aren't very forgiving if it hits your rest. Second, from my point of view as a shooter they sound loud. However, I had a friend stand just off my target while shooting 30 yd shots and he couldn't tell an audible difference downrange between the FOBs and arizona vanes. Although I said two downsides, one other one is that you can't stack arrows with them. They are expensive and when you stack arrows chances are you will blow a few apart. Bottom line for me...I bought several more and am going to hunt bull elk in one of Arizona's trophy units this fall with them. Hope this info helped. By the way, trying to tear vanes off of carbons is hardly worth the effort. I started from scratch with these things on bare shafts.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:12 AM

I actually Love the Turbos. I find them to be more forgiving than the feathers I shot before. FOC isn't a worry with them though as you have such a spin it just makes the FOC calcs irrelavent.

The hunters will stabilize fixed blade heads but only the smaller ones. I've shot NAP Nitrons and Wac'em archery Triton heads both at 100 grains and stack them up at 50-60-70 yards.

They are a little heavy but the hunters weigh in at real close to 50 grains...but they're longer than a conventional nock as well.

SO...you can cut 1" off the arrow -6 to 10 gr
You lose the fletch -5 to 12 grains each
You lose the nock that's already there so figure -12 to 17 for a carbon and 20 to 30 for a Alum super or G

You can effectively have the same arrow weight and same POI as before if you were really wanting that.

They're GREAT for windy days though as they really cut through a crosswind better than the hardest hellical. Good for "open space" hunting for Antelope, MUleys and Whitetail on the prarrie or anywhere else the wind is factor.