Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TURBO nocks??

Old 10-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default TURBO nocks??

I have been dong some research on these. From what reviews I've seen they are supoused to spin the arrow better than any vane or feather on the market. They are all the rage on archerytalk.com and some other sights. I see very little of them mentioned here though. I was debating on trying them . Has any one here tryed them? I know they are only good with drop aways and need a string loop but other than that I don't know alot about them. Thanks Jim
Old 10-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TURBO nocks??

Jim, you should try doing a search, there is an aweful lot of info and topics on the forums about turbo's. Nick, the inventor is also around to answer questions.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of the talk/reviews about the Turbo Nock is in the Technical Forum. You do a search there and you'll find some information. I personally do not shoot them but I'm not into fall away rests either. I currently have not tried them either. When I can drive tacks with conventional vanes and a Bodoodle Pro Lite on my VorTec..why change?
Old 10-13-2004, 01:31 PM

I was very skeptical about the TURBO's, performing like they say but after trying them I was truly suprised. I went from 3 1\2 - 4" groups down to 2" groups at 40 yards. The only problem I have found with them thus far is if your any kind of shooter you might break a few nocks and or arrows. Especilly with broadheads. I would not switch back for love nor money. Also it's so easy to refletch them so to speak it's not even close to vanes. Really all you do it pull one out and phus another in. Vanes, glue, nocks and time made my choice simple, once I tried them. Personall I use and love the DeadX, but the Hunter work equally well.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:51 PM

Can you use Turbo Nocks with a Whisker Bisquit?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

I've done some more research on this and wisker bisquits and turbo nocks don't misx well. Turbo knocks begin spinning the second they leave the string due to a twisted nock. They'll spin as they are passing thur the bisquit slowwing the arrow down quite a bit. This is what I researched on the subject not what I have experanced. This could be wrong but it makes since to me. Jim
Old 11-18-2004, 06:18 PM

Jimbow
I was going thorugh these threads and saw that I missed your response.
Actually the Turbo is quite compatible with the whisker.
You would think it would slow down, but what slows an arrow down in a whisker biscuit is the total area of vanes being pushed through the brushes. A conventional hunting arrow has about 7 square inches of vane that has to pass through the whisker brush and on average lose from 2 to 12 fps depending on setup. The Turbo has only 1.6 total square inch of vane. PSE tested the turbo and could measure no speed loss at all through the whisker. A good many of my staff shooters use the whisker and the turbo. Actually If you check out our website , all the African game taken by Terry Whitford who has photos on our site were taken with a whisker biscuit.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:05 PM

I bought the turbo nocks and completed my own form of testing and they did not perform well for me.

To evaluate them I installed the turbo nocks and a whisker biscuit rest and shot several groups at 20 and 30 yards. I had been shooting my normal setup with vanes and my first groups with the turbo nocks were not as tight. I wanted to make sure that fatigue was not part of the reason that the turbo groups were worse and I also wanted to use facts over subjective judgement. So I shot a few more groups and started to keep score on each group using the 10-9-8-7 rings of a standard target face. I then switched back to my normal arrows and shot a few more ends and the groups looked tighter and the total score was higher. I then repeated this over the next few days each time switching back and forth between the turbo nocks/whisker biscuit rest and my normal rest and normal vanes. Every single time I shot better groups and scored higher with the vanes. I did have the exact same length and spine on each set of arrows.

This testing was enough to convice me that I was not interested in switching to the turbo nocks. I am confident with my setup that they were not the best choice for me. Now I will say that maybe with a different bow and/or setup that maybe they work great. I did not try a drop-away rest as I had already spent about $75 on the turbo nocks and whisker biscuit rest which was wasted money and I did not want to spend any more.