Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Turbo nocks...Turbo ROCK! >

Turbo nocks...Turbo ROCK!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Turbo nocks...Turbo ROCK!

Old 04-12-2003, 12:06 AM

Default Turbo nocks...Turbo ROCK!

Tell ya what guys, this is a little pre-emptive, but so far these things ARE all they are cracked up to be. Just came in the mail today and I didn' t get to shoot much with them , but 6 rounds of 3 arrows yielded 2 broken nocks and amazing groupings.
Quiet ( I was worried about this), fast ( faster than my feathers, I' ll get the chrony out this weekend) and very accurate.

Shooting Bowtech Mighty Mite @ 28+" &#67, MZE and Cabela' s Camo Hunter shafts ( these were the easiest to strip fletch from) w/ 125 points and wow. My groups tightened by about 1/4" @ 20 yards and that may not seem like much, but ya' ll that get picky know the significance. I' ll post more when I shoot more.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Turbo nocks...Turbo ROCK!

trushot, I' d be interested in what your chrono tests came up with. I don' t have a chrono, but actually got the same idea that the turbos may have increased the speed slightly. As far as niose however, mine make a lot of noise. I am having some trouble now with the fins making contact with the cable. I thought I had the contact problems ironed out, but I have a slight problem. I ordered a Timberline cable slide which I think will pull the cable closer to the slide, which will give me the clearence that I need. My simms teflon slide is nice, but it sticks out a bit too far for my liking.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:25 AM

Do you think the turbo nocks changing your FOC is the reason for the increase in accuracy.

Will this little change in weight change the spine at all? Since the weight is behind the arrow, I don' t see how this could affect the spine very much.

Let us know how much the speed increased.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:04 AM

I would like to know how adding 30-40 grns will make the arrow faster??
Old 04-14-2003, 08:29 AM

You do add 30-40 grains, but you also remove all old fletching........around 30-40 grains. The greatest comparison between the two is turbos and feathers, because feathers drag the most over distance. I don' t think they " speed" up the arrow, but just don' t slow down as fast over distance as, say feathers. -Grant-KS
Old 04-14-2003, 09:40 AM

my feathers add up to about 15 grns.

I think the hunter turbo is about 50 grns

I would be adding 35 grns to my arrow.

I am just saying, I am very interested in the chrono reports
Old 04-14-2003, 12:19 PM

I shoot some more the other day. 3 different arrows. All 28.25" All indoor 20 Yards
#1 CX 4560 terminator select 430gr 100gr tip
#2 Cabela' s camo stalker 465gr 125gr tip
#3 XX78 2512' s 522gr 125gr tip

The Cabela' s flew like rockets right off, no adjustments needed.Same POI as the fletched 2512' s I usually shoot.

I used the 4560' s purposely because they were underspined for my Mighty Mite @#64. They flew very well, just slightly left of center (1/2" ) but grouped very tightly. Nick eluded to spine being less of an issue because of the gyroscopic effect. I' m pretty much retarded with that stuff so all I' ll say is on my rig the underspined arrows flew and grouped well with the Turbos....and they didn' t without.

The 2512' s were another story. Can you say porpoise?? All over the road. I shot 4 and quit cause they were scaring me. Whether it was the weight or shaft diameter I don' t know, but they flew like poo and I' ll stick with my 5" hellical on these.

The only thing I chrony' d was the CX4560. Point blank.288 with fletch and 277 with the Turbo. Not the increase like I thought, but the arrow is 3/4" long for my rig now. I think after I trim them I' ll be even or slightly quicker.
RackAttack, that' s how they can be quicker. Figure your arrow,-fletch,-3/4" shaft weight,+55 grains for the Hunter' s. If you shoot mechanicals, the deadX should work and they' re lighter yet. Common sense tells me they' ll retain their speed better downrange just due to design and less air resistance.

BobCo.
Luckily I had to make no adjustments to my bow. I stripped fletch, attached the
Turbos and " X" . They are louder inside, I could hear them now, but no louder than my feathers....just different sound. Outside, all I heard was impact and I hid behind a tree 3 yards behind the target while a buddy shot.

I' ll do detailed chrony when I get time again.

Next step, trim arrows and chrony from 0-15yards....and then to broadheads.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:00 PM

From: Partridge KS USA RE: Turbo nocks...Turbo ROCK! (in reply to Trushot_archer)

You do add 30-40 grains, but you also remove all old fletching........around 30-40 grains
Grant,Now that' s some Heavy Duty Fletching! LOL
Old 04-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would seem illogical for the arrows to be faster with the heavier Turbo Nocks than they were with feather fletching. What makes you say that they are faster than feathers?[]

I have not shot these things, although it sounds like they are worth trying.

If you said that they were faster because they were dropping less, then I' d bet that is due to lowered FOC with the added weight at the back of the arrow. That and reduced drag may account for reduced drop. It is not really a bad thing if you are grouping well, as you seem to be.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don' t think that anyone has stated that they actually are faster or not just yet. What I think was said was that Trushot was going to compare them going through a chrono because he felt that they may have picked up a few FPS. Personally, I had the same thought after shooting them and kind of scratched my head. I have only shot them so far up to 15 yards. But I noticed a difference when shooting them as compared to a normal fletched arrow, but can' t pinpoint why. There is a different type of impact when hitting the target, I don' t know if it because the arrow is actually spinning much more then my fletched arrow and that is having an impact or if it is speed or a combination of both. According to the turbo website, the arrow spins incredible faster and sooner then any helical out there. But, like I said before, they are noisy, and that may have have an impact on my perception of the flight. That is why I am interested in the chrono tests that Trushot will perform. I am not totally sold on the turbos just yet.

Quick Reply: Turbo nocks...Turbo ROCK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.