Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Inconsistency or Double Standards? >

Inconsistency or Double Standards?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Inconsistency or Double Standards?

Old 05-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Inconsistency or Double Standards?

First, let me begin by saying I have absolutely 'no intention' of starting a fire, but as a member of this board I am given the privilege to address threads, once I keep within the constraints and rules of the board.

Recently a member, Wolf Dog, (with whom I have no connection) posted a thread, subject, "Awesome Broadhead" and during the course of the day the authorities locked the thread, then someone made comment of posting a thread as a non-paying advertiser.

In my opinion, Wolf Dog gave us an account of the game killed with this broadhead, he made mention of several hunts, I think 'four in total' and in the end gave us information of where we can gather further knowlwdge of this broadhead---I personally see 'nothing wrong' with this thread and in my opinion, do not see the necessity for locking his thread.JMO.

I have in the past participated in several other threads on this board that spoke of bows, portable bow presses, stabilizers, arrow wraps, tree stands, clothing (ASAT) etc, etc--- just to name a few, and fortunately as it was, those threads were not locked. Hopefully I was not guilty of being a non-paying advertiser and this is not my intention.

I am here so I could learn of the new accessories and stuff coming into the archery world and also the historic pass of archery, and so on.
I am here to share any information I may have with others and visa versa.
IMO this is what Wolf Dog wanted to do, this is how we learn of what's hot and what's not--what works and what dosen't.

I am certainly NOT trying to change the rules here, but just wanted to express my humble opinion of what "I feel" isn't right and could be seen as inconsistencies and or favor/bias.

As I said, let's keep this clean, let's play by the rules--but let us also share whatever information we have gathered on our archery equipment for others to see and use their own initiative to decide what works for themselves.
JMHO.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:33 PM

Default RE: Inconsistency or Double Standards?

Unless there is something that made the incident completely different, you have made some valid points, ampahunter.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said ampahunter,good point!!
Old 05-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you ampahunter. Well stated.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

amapahunter,
I know of the thread you are talking about, only in name as I didn't get to read it before it was gone.
I think the difference if I understood it correctly was that this member was actually selling/promoting a product that he owns/makes/sells whatever. Using the forums to advertise/promote something that he is directly associated with? Like I said I didn't read it, but if it was removed then it's safe to assume that's why.
This is the reason why I will no longer "Report" on BowTech bows. I now have official staff ties to that company and it would be a conflict of interest for me to start a topic about how great a certain model BowTech bow is. I will answer any questions regarding the product , offer tips and assistance where I can but no direct "pimping" in the form of "Hey look, Awesome Bow!"

Manufacturer participation is always welcome on the boards in the form of support if they wish, but there is an advertising fence that needs to be sat on.

There are so many staff members, and anonymous manufacturers on the boards these days that many times opinions must be taken with a grain of salt anyway.

That make sense?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:41 PM

Matt/PA:

Are you using the term "pimping" in the classical sense, or a different meaning?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

c903,
I don't even know if I use that term correctly anymore.......There's such a new internet "lingo" it's hard to keep up.
You should see how many times in the course of a work day that I have to deal with the spell checker telling me that "Thru" is not a real word.
"Pimping" as I understand it these days with respect to the forums means to use a public forum to push a product. I guess not unlike a public street and the "traditional" sense of the word and product.[:-]

By the way good luck with the traditional gear. It keeps pulling me as well.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt/PA--my point is, Wolf Dog has done nothing 'different' to what others and myself have done in the past.
I would recommend you take a look at his thread--- if you can.
The guy shared with us, the members and visitors of this board, results of a 'AWESOME Broadhead' (as HE terms it) and went on to provide a link.

I definitely understand what you mean about advertising on the board---but correct me if I am wrong--haven't the owners and manufactures of other archery accessories posted threads here that promotes their products?
Were not these threads remained accessible to all---fortunately!!!

For example---with all 'respect' to you---take a look at your 'profile photo'--would you not consider that as 'promotional' and a 'form of advertising'?

Sharing information about products and results of field testing in 'my books' would be considered fair game, but of course I am not a moderator, neither am I part of the directors of this board.
I am just 'expressing' my respectful opinion and in doing so, questioning the consistency and standards as to 'why' some manufactures can discuss their products here and others aren't given that privilege.
Getting on the board and saying--'Here guys, a awesome broadhead--on sale at John Buck for $25. a pack of three'-- this is advertising. JMHO.

Maybe I am not getting this, but in my opinion I see nothing wrong with anyone for that matter hailing a product--be it their own or not. An individual sharing information with us and giving us the opportunity to learn about new products, would also promote this board, as I am sure others would welcome the fact that they could come to the board (HBBS) and gain further knowledge of products out there that we are not yet aware of.
Just my humble opinion.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

amp,
I understand your point.........I think the line as it stands (at least as I see it)with regards to promoting a product involves the following posting rules:

#7 No advertising or product marketing. No commercial ads allowed. Hunting Net has a free classified ads section for personal advertisements. An advertisement is categorized as an outright attempt to solicit business. Any such posts may be removed.

#10 Linking - Links to produtcs and personal pages will be tolerated. You may not link to any direct competitor or link to just advertise a product or service. We reserve the right to delete any link for any reason

For instance my "Signature" pic is full of products I use and trust, but nowhere does it say, "Click the enclosed link to purchase" any of them. There's a difference also as I do not have them there as "An outright attempt to solicit business".

I think for the most part we know the difference between an enthusiastic post about a good new product and a sales pitch.

I know it all seems a bit blurred at times. I wish I could read the original thread that you are referring to but I can't. If it is as you are saying just a guy telling fellow hunters about a quality product , then you may in fact be correct that it should have been allowed. That happens about 8 million times a day. I have to trust the judgement of my fellow moderators that there was a distinct difference which crossed the line of a posting rule which warranted the removal of the post.
I don't know what else to say. Just my attempt at trying to help you understand why it was probably removed.

We don't get paid for this stuff......we just try to keep the boards as close to the laid out rules as a bucnh of volunteers can make it. There are set written rules for posting, but many times it is a judgement call as to whether or not a post has violated one of them.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I stand corrected--'your signature picture'. My sincere apology.

However, at no time have I questioned the rules of the board, like I've said, I am not attempting to rewrite any rules. So posting the rules at this time is completely irrelevant.

My post mentioned inconsistencies and or double standards--and your point relating to a "judgement call" is clearly understood.
But in my opinion, it was a 'bad call--not impartial.

If there is a forum, where free advertising is offered, then the moderator 'Cougar mag'--should have politely redirected his post providing a link to the advertising forum--and just not shut the door in the member's face.
I am sure he spent some time on that thread, and even if it was meant to be an advertising pitch, he still provided information for a broadhead that we may one day have our own questions on.

I seriously feel that we all need to 'bond together' in the interest of a sport we all love. Closing doors without offering an alternative isn't going to get us anywhere--on the other hand, providing assistance to the correct location for threads with an 'advertising pitch' is much better in my view, as compared to deleting the thread completely.
The thread had absolutely no profanity--it spoke about four hunts and the broadhead used there in.

Regardless, I thank you and all the other board members for your/their response to this thread, hopefully we have all learnt a little more of what this board has to offer.

Quick Reply: Inconsistency or Double Standards?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.