Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 which summit climber to get >

which summit climber to get

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

which summit climber to get

Old 02-13-2004, 06:44 PM

Default which summit climber to get

I am looking at getting a new climber and i think i really want a summit but which one i am 5'11 at 220 lbs and bowhunt as well as gunhunt. the viper looks good so does the revolution . anyone's advice will be helpful .

thanks
Old 02-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: which summit climber to get

Viper XLS by all means. The Revolution is OK, but all that extra folding metal and weight is too much. Considering your size you may want to look at the Goliath. Same as the Viper but a hair wider in the seat, so a little more room with heavy clothes on.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:38 PM

thanks for the help think i am going to get the viper ultra just for the footrest
hopefully i wil be about 30 lbs lighter by season lol
Old 02-14-2004, 05:25 PM

considering your size the goliath would be your best choice ,imo summit are the best ,the new models should be availiable real soon,i love my viper xls!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

If you are looking at the viper and the revolution...I'd go witht he revolution...the same stand I have. I'm 6-2 255lbs, and enjoy it very much. Quite comfortable, and despite what others say...the extra "weight" of the foot rest is not a problem at all. It's woth it to have the foot rest. The extra couple pounds it not much at all.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe I am missing something here but the gentleman said he was 5'11 inches and 220 lbs...not 5'11" and 320 lbs. Any of Summits current stands have weight capacities up to and, in some cases, exceeding 300 lbs. I have the Revolution and find it very comfortable and easy to use. However, the Viper XLS is probably the most popular as the shooting rail makes it easy to use it as a sit down/stand up climber.

If I had to do it again I would probably go with one of their new backpacker models....probably the Broadhead model as it folds very flat, is just as light as the normal models and has the open front which makes it ideal for bowhunting. Since you both bowhunt and rifle hunt then maybe you might also consider the Bullet model.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Maybe I am missing something here but the gentleman said he was 5'11 inches and 220 lbs...not 5'11" and 320 lbs. Any of Summits current stands have weight capacities up to and, in some cases, exceeding 300 lbs. I have the Revolution and find it very comfortable and easy to use. However, the Viper XLS is probably the most popular as the shooting rail makes it easy to use it as a sit down/stand up climber.

If I had to do it again I would probably go with one of their new backpacker models....probably the Broadhead model as it folds very flat, is just as light as the normal models and has the open front which makes it ideal for bowhunting. Since you both bowhunt and rifle hunt then maybe you might also consider the Bullet model.

Calm down there!!!! I think people were telling him to try the goliath...not for how much the guy weighs, but more for the comfort of the standing beign a little bigger and wider. As I stated before, I think the revolution would suit him just fine. It's fits me fine and I'm a tough bigger.

j
Old 02-16-2004, 11:01 AM

well iwent ahead and got the viper ultra which has a footrest as well as a shooting v for guns. I really like the rail all the way around me for i am alittle nervous up there lol. i hunt between 20 to 25 feet high . our deer here in east texas are hunted pretty hard and are very skidish. so the extra comfort will be a bonous to me . I really want to thanks all of you for you help. Someone told me to check the sight out and i have found to be very helpful. N ow all i got is get my shoulder back in shape had a tear last fall and tring to avoid surgery that is were the weight came from no exercsie for 5 months. so I shot sunday for the first time and it was so fun but i did get sore i turned my poundage down from 75 to 61 to start . well any oter advice is always appreciated . please feel free to email me advice or ask questions i am at [email protected] Thanks again!!!!