Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Poll: Fall Away Rests

Old 01-19-2004, 06:13 AM

Default RE: Poll: Fall Away Rests

Pinwheel
I can say I talk to Eric and Nathan Brooks alot. I will at show this week.
Nathan likes fall away for hunting for broadheads. He likes the springsteel for keep it simple rule in tournament
Eric has said the same thing. Dean says fall aways work. Mike Anderson truly feels the fall away helps his shooting. Mike has shot one for three years now.
Pinwheel I shot GK rest for 17yrs. I dont fall for ever gimmick that comes along. This is not a fad. Trophy Taker sold more rests last year than previous and I feel will continue to sell more this year. I have yet to have anyone that I placed a trophy taker rest on ther bow in one of the several shops that I help from time to time bring one back. Seems folks like there trophy taker very much. To me customer satisfaction is priceless.

Good shooters can shoot most things if tuned right. Trophy Taker is very simple to tune.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:50 AM

I guess I'll chime in here. I honestly don't think you need full helical arrows to get good fixed broadhead flight. All that is required is a good tuned bow and lots of practice.

Do full helical arrows aid in stabilizing arrows? Well yeah, helical increases surface area that comes into contact with air causing resistance in the tail end of the arrow that straightens it out.

So now I must say that I have been shooting a fallaway for the last two seasons. Why?...confidence. It's all a confidence thing for me. I have more confidence in my setup with a fallaway and full helical arrows.

Up until I got the fallaway I used a golden premier with strait feathers. Never had a problem with fletch contact and I was shooting as accurate groups as I am now but I now have more confidence and I feel that makes me a better archer.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Dan, don't get me wrong---I never said that the trophy taker was not a quality rest, because I know very well that they are---I think that the fact that they are now offering the conventional spring steel launcher and that Pros use them for tournaments over the fallway clearly defines the fact that it truly becomes simply a matter of personal preference as to what each individual wishes to shoot. If there was a "huge advantage" to the fallaway design as far as accuracy was concerned, then certainly all current top pro shooters would be shooting them. But they are not, so that tells me that it's just whatever equipment you are comfortable shooting, just as it has always been

Like I said, shoot whatever you want, but you cannot tell me that they are a huge advantage over any other design, because I believe that is not true. Do they work? Sure they do. Do conventional rests work? Sure again. The only difference is popularity, and that is where the "fad" word comes from.

We'll have to further discuss this over coffee and bagels at the show. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 01-20-2004, 05:42 AM

Look forward to seeing you at show also. Cant wait.

Only thing I dissagree is fad. Fad something that will leave eventually. Trophy Taker is growing in poularity every year.

Your right spring steel is choice for most pros. Keep it simple rule. Hunting they use there fall aways. Im currently shooting spring steel on my indoor bow, works great and shoots good. 3D I like to have a fall away.