Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Poll: Fall Away Rests

Old 01-14-2004, 09:04 AM

Default Poll: Fall Away Rests

Okay I am just going to ask do you think the new fall away rests really offer an advantage or are they a fad created by rest makers to rob us of are hard earned cash and reinvent the wheel????
Old 01-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poll: Fall Away Rests

Great advantage !!
Old 01-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Fad. Just as it was the first time it came around 20 years ago. More junk to worry about with lanyards, tubes, cable slides and arms, and/ or magnets. Works as a crutch for those who cannot figure out how to correctly tune a conventional setup, but there is certainly no advantage to them. Pinwheel 12
Old 01-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fad. Just as it was the first time it came around 20 years ago. More junk to worry about with lanyards, tubes, cable slides and arms, and/ or magnets. Works as a crutch for those who cannot figure out how to correctly tune a conventional setup, but there is certainly no advantage to them. Pinwheel 12
I agree with Pinwheel (to an extent). I used to shoot a golden premier rest for years and it was great. Shot awesome. I switched to a MZE, still shoot awesome. But now I don't ever have to worry about my arrow coming off the rest. So to me, in a hunting situation....that is an advantage. IMO you will not shoot any better with a drop away, unless like pinwheel said...you couldn't tune a conventional rest to begin with.

It's just like switching to mechanical broadheads because you can't get fixed heads to fly good. If you can't get your bow tuned with a conventional rest, a drop away probably won't help much. Band aid's don't fix the problems.

That being said, I'm very happy that I switched to the MZE. For a hunting rest, IMO it is hard to beat.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Works as a crutch for those who cannot figure out how to correctly tune a conventional setup
I have to disagree highly. I shoot a MZE. I have never put anything on my bow that has helped my shooting more than a drop away. To say that by simply using a dropaway the person can't figure out how to tune a conventional setup is a completely unsupported statement. I have shot all types of rests from WB'S to Tm platinum premier. All have been centered perfectly. However with the smaller shafts and the helical that is on some fletchings it is very difficult to stop all contact with at least some portion of the rest. So if an item comes on the market that will make me a better shooter with a better chance at an ethical shot then I am going to take advantage of it. And to talk about a crutch. Unless you are using a longbow that you made with your own two hands from the tree in the back yard with hand carved arrows and chisled flint points then you are using just about every "crutch" known in the archery industry. So next time avoid criticizing every person that uses a drop away and don't make such a hipocritical statement.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:33 PM

You know they were bad then, but are awesome now!

I shot a Savage Derringer Shoot thru rest, I had good groups and a good amount of speed, but after switching to the NAP 2000RG my speed and groups improved not to mention the fletching clearance that you get! There are good and bad things about them, but that is too figure out on your own!

Pinwheel: Obviously you have been shooting Bows for awhile, but when you do sight in, and tune a "conventional" setup as you call it, and you still can't get any good groups, (and your form is fine) then I would look at the arrows or the rest, my friend shoots a Mathews LX w/a NAP Quicktune 1000, his shoots it at 65lbs, and mine at 64lbs, and with my dropaway I blow him away!!

Just because they sucked back then does not mean they are good now, I would suggest trying one Pinwheel, sounds like you are stuck in the frame of mind that they will never be good because they were not good back then, but don't let that fool you, you know computers totally sucked in the 60's, 70's and 80's, but now look at them, pretty soon, most companies will be making dropaways because of the added things it adds, not to mention a lot of people will buy them!

I am willing to try different things, that is what makes you succeed in life, you have to be willing to go with the flow, and modernize, that is what is going on right now, so I will go with others on trying the dropaways!

Just my 2 cents!
Old 01-14-2004, 04:02 PM

Mike Anderson just took second in Iowa Pro Am with one. I would say they work very well. Hunting and broadheads there no doubt they help with clearance and flight.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO they are awesome. Before, shooting a TM style rest, there was no way that I could shoot a 4 or 5 inch fletch with a full helical. Now I can and do not have to worry one bit about the fletch contacting the rest. They are quieter on the draw and the hush tubes do not have to be replaced every week either. They are an all around better rest.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Considering some of the responses that I have seen so far maybe I should not post my response.... To an extent I agree with both sides. I think that some drop away designs allow you to shoot some setups that would be extremely difficult to shoot out of a conventional setup with the same level of accuracy and low level of problems. Skinny carbons and a heavy helical, as mentioned above, would be a good example.

However, after having shot a few of them in the last few years...Muzzy Zero Effect and MBG Trapdoor, I really saw no advantage to them for my setup. I had no problem tuning with or without them, saw no advantage in terms of speed or accuracy and have never had a problem with my arrow falling off my prong rest when I am drawing.

Will I try one again in the near future? Sure, probably....probably because my Bowtech's come with a cable slide that has a little hole for the attachment of a drop away cable...

Quick Reply: Poll: Fall Away Rests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.