Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Poll: Fall Away Rests

Old 01-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Poll: Fall Away Rests

I shoot a Trophy Taker arrow rest on both my Parker Hunter Mag for hunting and PSE Mach 11 for target archery. As far as hunting, it draws perfectly silent when you put fleece over the prong plus it is incredibly durable. There's only one string from the rest to the cable. Also, you can hold your arrow on the shelf before you draw when hunting. I would not recommend the style of drop away rest that attaches to the cable slide if you shoot a lot because I shoot every day and go through cable guards.
As far as accuracy and arrow clearance, it will help. Others that talk about how they can tune their prong-style rests to shoot as well as drop aways may be right. I have never seen them shoot. But, unless you have loads of time on your hands, why would you want to have to tune your bow? If you drop your bow or something, then there goes your tuning. Their is only a windage and elevation adjustment on a Trophy Taker. I'm a member of the Bowhunters of Rockingham in Virginia and the most prevalent style of arrowrest is a Trophy Taker. To the Pinwheel fellow, I know how to tune a conventional setup.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:44 AM

For bowhunting, the period of the year when most bowhunters might shoot at a deer but a few times and at a close range, how can the "drop-away" be so advantageous vs. complexity and an increased "Murphy" factor?

The fletch contact aspect is being blown out of proportion in comparison with what is actual just to justify the "drop-away."
Old 01-15-2004, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Guys-

I have been tuning bows for many years. I have seen many many fads come and go over the years, and will see many more come and go in the future. I'm not trying to criticise anyone for what they choose to shoot, but the fact is that most any quality "conventional" rest on the market today can be setup effectively for arrow pass if one takes the time with it. The drop-away fad came around again and this time took hold, much like solocam bows did on their second try. People simply do not want to bother with anything, or take the time to properly tune equipment, I see and hear this constantly in the shop---whether this is because they simply do not have time with the world going at the speed of light nowadays, are just plain lazy, or do not have the knowledge to do so, is an individual thing. My job is to take the time to ensure that setups are as they should be, that's what I do.

Hunting rests need to be simple, with nothing that could possibly give you trouble at the worst possible time. My feelings toward fallaways is such because there are all of the little things as mentioned in my previous post that could go wrong at an inopportune time. With simple hunting rests like a Whisker Biskit for instance, there is little to worry about-- arrow pass can be forgotten because all three fletchings go through the biskit at the same time. Shots out to 40-50 yds remain accurate when tuned correctly. True fletching tears up more easily, but I must say I in all honesty do not shoot hundreds of arrows out of my hunting setup once it's tuned. I have 3D bows, and indoor bows, and field bows, along with my hunting equipment. I like to choose the best setup for a individual application. And by doing this I can be assured that nothing will go wrong on any fly-in hunt or anywhere else for that matter-- not to mention my arrow will remain in place and quiet at all times, and not having to worry about the extra stuff allows me to concentrate on the task at hand--harvesting my game.

It's all a matter of whatever floats your boat of course, and I'm sorry if my previous post offended anyone, just giving my opinion. Having honestly and non-biasedly tried all types of fall-aways "back then", and having again tried many of them over the past couple of years, to date I will stick to the K.I.S.S. principle when it comes to my hunting setups, and recommend the same to my customers. If some feel better with a fallaway, enjoy---it's all Archery, and it's all good, as long as we're all shooting something! Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 01-15-2004, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

But, unless you have loads of time on your hands, why would you want to have to tune your bow? If you drop your bow or something, then there goes your tuning.
No offense to the original poster intended but I cannot believe that I just read this.

Ofcourse you have to tune your bow! Even with a drop-away rest. If you don't then you face problems with accuracy and overall shootability. An arrow traveling sideways is not going to penetrate a deer..or even worse it might penetrate an inch or two and wound the animal. I don't think anybody wants that.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:40 AM

Pinwheel no offense taken, you have the right to think what you think, you don't like the concept of them and all, probably never will, but with any rest it takes time to tune your bow with any rest you want, but I would rather have a rest I could set up in 10min, then one that takes 20min!
Old 01-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Only one reason is seriously making me think about buying a dropaway rest........because I am going to start shooting the new Easton Axis arrow, which is slightly skinnier than the ACCs! Of course it can be shot with conventional rests, but with my form not being as good as I would like, I need all the help clearance-wise I can get. I prefer my hunting setup to be as good or better than for 3D shooting, I may not get that 2nd chance at a particular big buck. I am better than average, but will never be as good as I would like. Not all archers are world class..although we all wish we were. In my case and shooting the Axis shafts I feel I need it.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:28 PM

I am trying out a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter for the first time this year and so far I am impressed. Impressed at my shooting with this new bow I really havn't noticed any huge advantages due to the rest.

The one thing that is a huge plus is fletch clearance. Now, I know Pinwheel talks the truth, a properly tuned rest will work, but, my new bow is the exception With the cock vane turned down, the inward vane will conctact the cable (maybe 1/16" of contact). If I turn the cock vane out, there is about 3/16" of clearance to the cables, but then the vanes will hit the prongs on other a regular prong rest. This is more of a slight design flaw with the bow and if there was more room so the vanes wouldn't contact, then I wouldn't see any advantage at all.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:16 AM

I here this word fad. Well over three years ago. Trophy Taker disigned simple fall away. I now know Nathan Brooks, Eric Griggs, George Dixon and and couple of olympic archers hunt with the trophy taker fall away. My coach is 66 and archery lengend in indoor archery and NFAA, Dean Pridgon. He shoots a fall away.
Guys when this many pros shoot one there a good reason. They work. I have shot one for two years and feel my scores have went up.
George Dixon is the pro that showed me the fall away two years ago and Mike Anderson won the biggest event in archery with one Vegas Indoor.
Chance B. who everthing in indoor hunts with one also.
Bottom line they work! Broadhead flight amazing. Easy to tune. Murphy factor, Trophy Taker cant get much simpler than two screws and attach to cable.
Im not saying a two prong rest will not also, heck a springy rest will shoot godd also.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just an average guy here, not a competition shooter, let alone a pro.[:'(]

I thought I read in several ads and testimonials on the web where the dropaways (fallaways, etc.) were more forgiving of torque and form problems. I personally have not found that to be true for me. I have tried 4 different dropaways, including a Barner, MZE, Trophy Taker, and Plainsman. The last 3 were all very quiet to draw and shoot. The MZE definitely has the advantage of arrow containment. You definitely get little to no wear of quieting materials like moleskin on the rest. Skinny carbons with lots of helical are no problem either. I don't know if they are that much quicker and easier to set up than a conventional rest, but if fletch clearance is an issue they could be. All of you guys who rave about your drop aways make me want to try one again, and I even have a check to cash that would pay for any of them right away. I am currently on my third week of BP's blind bale TP cure though. When I am done with that, if I find my accuracy lacking, I will probably drop the $ and try one again. However, I still remember the days 2 springs ago, shooting a Mathews MQ1 with an MZE attached, alongside a hopelessly obsolete Darton Viper with only a Centerest Flipper rest on it. The old Darton was clearly the more accurate bow for me, and I am talking over 100's of shots. After that day, I am always sceptical if the newest, latest and greatest for other people is really going to be that much better for me.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

okbwhntr--

You are simply caught all up in this " this pro shoots this, this pro shoots that" stuff. I see this alot with you. Doesn't matter what they shoot to be honest, really, it doesn't. You should know as well as I do that the current Pro shooters will win with whatever their sponsors throw into their hands simply due to their excellent natural ability, and that's no baloney. BUT the question remains that just because a "Pro" uses it because he/she is paid to, does that mean it will work with the same performance in "mere mortals'" hands? I also know Eric and many other Pros both current and forgotten, as well as some "legends", and I can tell you that this is fact that they can certainly win with virtually anything. In fact, I think more championships have been probably won over the years with a SPRINGY rest (ask Dean about that!) than any other rest on the planet-- I'd bet it's probably close. Everyone from each generation just goes with whatever "FAD" is of the times.

The question we should ask is will average people find better results from a fallaway? IMHO no, because most average people do not know how to set them up correctly. Rate of drop is critical and different with each model. The only time I see improvement for average Joes is when they had incredible fletching contact issues with a conventional rest, and in that case they should've gone to a reputable technician for help anyway IMO. Maybe a fallaway would've helped, maybe not. With the new fletching that spins better than a current helical on a straight fletch (coming out this year, check them at the ATA show at NAP and I think Bohning will have some new variations also) There really is no need to worry about contact any longer.

Whatever floats your boat is what you should individually shoot, and is why there are hundreds of different designs on virtually every piece of available equipment out there. But the bottom line point here is I know of no rest that is heads and shoulders (or even inches for that matter) above any other correctly tuned one as far as accuracy is concerned. That's it in a nutshell, so shoot what you want. JMHO. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

Quick Reply: Poll: Fall Away Rests

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.